Thread poster: Juan Ignacio Sendino

Juan Ignacio Sendino  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 5, 2010

Dear all,

I have just installed Office 2007 on my PC, my OS is Windows XP and I'm a user of SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance.

My problem is that although my SDL Trados version seems to support Office 2007 files, I cannot create .itd files from .xlsx or .docx files.
When clicking with the right button over one of this files, the option "Translate with SDLX" is missing in the menu, but it appears in Office 2003 files. I tried also to create an .itd file from the SDLX main menu in Translate > Translate a single file, but the tool does not recognize those files.

Do you know what the problem could be, and how could I solve it? Does my version not support Office 2007 files?

I appreciate in advance your help.

Juan Ignacio Sendino

Direct link Reply with quote

Slawomir Nieciecki  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Simple Feb 5, 2010

Just save .docx as .doc or.xlsx as .xls, do the work and at the end save them back to .docx or .xlsx if needed

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
A different workflow Feb 6, 2010

Hi Juan,
I'm not sure if SDLX 2007 supports Office 2007. You can:
1. Either proceed as suggested by Slawomir, but note that saving DOCX as DOC might lead to losing some document functionalities;
2. Or open the documents in TagEditor, save them as TTX and then export them into ITDs, if you desperately need to work in SDLX;
3. Or open the documents in TagEditor and use TagEditor for translation.

Eduardo García Soñanes
Mexico
Local time: 11:05
English to Spanish
Work on your files as you would with Office 2003 Feb 7, 2010

Out of curiosity, I just translated a couple of .docx files with my Trados 2007 Suite just to see what happens. To prepare them with the bookmark handler, analyze them, and clean them, I just treated them as .doc by selecting the "All files" option instead of the Word 2003 or 2007 options. I do not have Office 2007, but I do have the compatibility package from Microsoft.

Everything went well.

Hope this helps
Eduardo García Soñanes

Juan Ignacio Sendino  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 7, 2010

Many thanks to you all. You have been very helpful. Saving then as .doc and .xls and then again to .docx and .xlsx at the end works ok. It's not perfection, but I can work with the tool.

Thanks again!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance compatibility with Office 2007

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search