Merging Segments in Freelance Studio 2009
Thread poster: Simon Harris

Simon Harris  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 6, 2010

Is there a dastardly Trados trick to this?

I click on the numbers of both (consecutive) segments whilst holding Shift down and Merge Segments remains unavailable.

It's driving me nuts, but as I'm working with a PDF file I can't back to my happy home in TagEditor 2007!

TIA!

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
end of paragraph breaks Feb 6, 2010

You can't merge segments that are separated by a hard break (backward p).

If you're working on a pdf your document may be full of these.
I recommend using an external OCR application to convert pdfs so that you can revise them in Word before using Studio (AFAIK you can't modify PDFs that have been converted internally in Studio, so this part of the application will only work if it is a very basic pdf).

If it's not a question of hard end of line breaks, then check that you are selecting both source segments in the segment number column and then click on ctrl+alt+S. It works fine.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
PDFs and Paragraphs Feb 6, 2010

Hi Simon,
you can't merge two segments that are separated with a paragraph break. This is often the case with PDF files: the OCR software sometimes inserts paragraph breaks where they don't belong. The only solution to this is to check and re-format the source DOC (converted from the PDF) and re-open that in Studio.
BTW, this problem also exists in TagEditor.

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Feb 6, 2010

And there I was thinking that being able to work with PDFs in Trados would make my life easier!

Thanks anyway!
Simon

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
PDFs are always a pain Feb 6, 2010

Hi Simon,
PDFs are always a pain, as it says in the title of my post. Although T2009 includes an OCR module, I believe it is still best to use an external OCR tool to remain in control of what the software actually does.
After you export the OCR results into Word, you can easily prepare the Word file for translation in T2009. This has worked for me best, especially in the case of more heavily formatted PDFs. The OCR module in T2009, however, is helpful for text-only PDFs.

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Message received Feb 6, 2010

As this is the first of a series of training manuals, I'll finish this doc in the way I started, update the TM using the Word doc and follow your advice for the rest.

Thanks once again!
Simon

PS. This is my first job in T2009 - hope things get easier!!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Merging Segments in Freelance Studio 2009

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search