Thread poster: Pavel Tsvetkov

Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 14:07
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Feb 6, 2010

I have a Bulgarian to English translation memory in which I would like to define the segmentaion rules for Bulgarian.

However I cannot access them as I am only given the opportunity to access the segmentation rules for English. Please, follow the link below to an uploaded screen capture - as you will notice the drop-down menu for choosing the language is greyed out:

http://media7.dropshots.com/photos/300080/20100206/131800.jpg

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 13:07
English to Czech
+ ...
Source language Feb 6, 2010

Hi Pavel,
I've tried to simulate your problem in my T2009. I can, of course, only access the segmentation rules for the source language. My question is therefore, is Bulgarian really the source language of the TM you want to edit segmentation rules for, regardless of the TM name?

[Upraveno: 2010-02-06 11:41 GMT]

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
From what I know, yes, it is Feb 6, 2010

Stanislav,

Thank you for your time.

This translation memory has been created from an import of a 2007 TM which I had constantly used in the BG to EN direction. Also, I have just tried using it with a BG file, and it works, so, in my opinion it is a BG to EN translation memory.

Please, also see here:

http://media6.dropshots.com/photos/300080/20100206/135324.jpg

The window says: source language "Bulgarian".

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Strange indeed Feb 6, 2010

Hi Pavel,
this is strange indeed.
My only idea is that you export this TM into TMX, create a new one, define all the settings including the segmentation rules and import the TMX into the newly created TM.
Sorry, no other ideas at this point...

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
It seems this has affected most/all of my TMs Feb 6, 2010

I have opened another TM and the result is the same... They have all been mass converted from "legacy" 2007 TMs via the Trados tool.

This must be a bug with the conversion process. It is very unpleasant, and I hope SDL fixes it.

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Probably a bug Feb 6, 2010

Hi Pavel,
this really seems to be a bug in the conversion process. With your permission, I will bring Paul Filkin's attention to this thread.

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Please, go ahead! Feb 6, 2010

If this is indeed a bug which has affected all converted TMs it will be very time consuming to recreate them from scratch.

[Edited at 2010-02-06 13:19 GMT]

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Done Feb 6, 2010

I've informed Paul. If this is really a bug, I think Paul or somebody else will contact you to provide any of the troublesome TMs.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Need to see the TM Feb 7, 2010

Hi Pavel,

If you can share the TM, or part of one that produces trhe same problem, then I'd be happy to look at this. If this is ok drop me a mail at pfilkin@sdl.com and I'll send you details of where you can place it (assuming it's too large to mail).

Regards

Paul
SDL Support

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
TM has been sent Feb 7, 2010

Paul,

I have sent the TM to you. I hope the results of your tests will be posted here for future reference.

Regards,
Pavel

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Fixed in SP2 Feb 8, 2010

Hi Pavel,

Thanks for the information you provide, this has been helpful. It's also interesting there was a similar post not long after yours so I have responded there too this morning.

The problem seems to be that the (SP1) language resources editor seems to display the source language of the most recently created TM, not the source language of the current TM. That language cannot be changed. Changes to the resources are still allowed. If, however, a resource is changed (e.g. an abbreviation is added), an error message will usually pop up, saying that the language is incompatible with the current TM.

A workaround may be to create another, dummy TM in the language direction of the TM which is about to be changed. The dummy TM can be deleted again right away, but the procedure may just work around the issue that the dialog currently only offers the source language of the most recently created TM.

I hope this helps? We are pretty sure we have resolved this issue in SP2 that will be released soon.

Regards

Paul
SDL Support

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Feb 8, 2010

What I have done with the problematic TMs is to delete them and recreate them from scratch:

1. Export from Workbench.
2. Create an empty TM in Studio with all the features I need.
3. Import.

Of course, that will only work with TMs which have not been used in the period of time after their conversion and before the problem has been identified, which, happily enough, was my case.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Impossible to access segmentation rules in Studio SP1

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search