https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/157280-conversion_back_to_word_impossible_in_trados_suite_2009.html

Conversion back to Word impossible in Trados Suite 2009
Thread poster: Elodie Bonnafous
Elodie Bonnafous
Elodie Bonnafous
France
Local time: 03:47
Member (2009)
German to French
+ ...
Feb 6, 2010

Hello,

more and more frequently, Trados (SDL Trados Studio 2009) refuses to convert my translation back to word.

There is no reason indicated nor a failure number, only : "Target text could not be saved: An error occured while converting the document back to Microsoft Word format"

Once I finally solved the problem creating a second source file in Word and retranslating it (thanks to the TM, I just had to open the document in Editor, Trados retranslated the
... See more
Hello,

more and more frequently, Trados (SDL Trados Studio 2009) refuses to convert my translation back to word.

There is no reason indicated nor a failure number, only : "Target text could not be saved: An error occured while converting the document back to Microsoft Word format"

Once I finally solved the problem creating a second source file in Word and retranslating it (thanks to the TM, I just had to open the document in Editor, Trados retranslated the whole text alone ) and I could save the translation in Word.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work this time. As I have no errors or warnings in my translation and the source file is a plain Word document, I don't know what is going wrong and how to solve this.

Anyone an idea ?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 04:47
English to Turkish
+ ...
Hidden tags Feb 6, 2010

Hi Elodie,

A plain word document is difficult to find, there should be some formatting (bold, italic, different fonts, expanded/condensed text, etc.).

For instance, some people change the font colour to black, but black is different from "automatic", it creates some tags.

When Trados Studio 2009 was first launched, it was marketed as a tag-free environment. Of course it is not true.

Please test this: In the Editor View press Ctrl+Shift+H, which
... See more
Hi Elodie,

A plain word document is difficult to find, there should be some formatting (bold, italic, different fonts, expanded/condensed text, etc.).

For instance, some people change the font colour to black, but black is different from "automatic", it creates some tags.

When Trados Studio 2009 was first launched, it was marketed as a tag-free environment. Of course it is not true.

Please test this: In the Editor View press Ctrl+Shift+H, which will display formatting tags, also select "Full Tag Text". Most possibly there are some missing tags in the translation.

In the Editor View you can use the shortcut F8 to verify the file.

HTH

Selcuk

[Edited at 2010-02-06 19:28 GMT]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Does the untranslated document save properly? Feb 6, 2010

If yes, you must have a tag error, so please check tags carefully.
Switch the option to ignore formatting tags in your project settings (in file types, corresponding Word version, tag verification).
However, if the document does not save even before you start translating, so the source doc is corrupted. Repair it in Word and try again.

Caroline Lakey
Caroline Lakey  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Brackets, speech marks etc in filename? Feb 8, 2010

I've had this problem a couple of times, and have realised that Studio 2009 doesn't like file names with anything other than letters and figures in them. Could that be the problem?

My solution is simply to resave the file without the special characters in the filename, then run the file through the TM.

Hope it works!

Tom Fennell
Tom Fennell
United States
Local time: 20:47
Russian to English
+ ...
Another Easy Tip Feb 8, 2010

Make sure you are converting Word files to Word 2007 before importing them into Studio.

Studio does not really like Word 2003.

Does this help?

Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
embedded web links Feb 8, 2010

I had the same problem with one of the first files I translated in Studio 2009. What the problem was is that there were hidden links to web sites (related to standards quoted in the file) which were not visible on the page. After I found and eliminated them, I made a new file like you did and applied the old one as the TM and everything worked fine.
Maybe this is your case too.
Eileen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Conversion back to Word impossible in Trados Suite 2009

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »