Studio TM parameters (language resources): language drop menu doesn't work
Thread poster: Anne LJ
Anne LJ
Local time: 16:23
Spanish to French
+ ...
Feb 7, 2010

Hello,

I'm trying to change the segmentation rules (Studio SP1) for a special case (German/French) and to add variables and abbreviations but the language drop-down menu doesn't work. It always stays in Spanish (I have tested with all my memories: imported or new ones). It's the first time I'm trying this operation. I usually work with German, English, French, Spanish or Catalan.

Many thanks in advance for your attention.

Anne

[Modifié le 2010-02-08 03:55 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jean-Pierre Artigau
Canada
Local time: 10:23
English to French
+ ...
SDL Help Feb 8, 2010

Have you tried SDL's Help?
To change segmentation rules, I don't think you have to go to the Language drop-down menu.
You should have determined your Source and Target languages at the beginning, when defining your project.
- Click Help at the top of your screen, then Help Topics, then Search, then on the "Type in the word(s) to search for:" line, type "segmentation rules", then go. I suggest you begin with the second entry (Segmentation Rules) , or the third entry (Add-Edit Segmentation Rules).
I think all the information you need is there.

Jean-Pierre

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Fixed in SP2 Feb 8, 2010

Hi Anne,

The problem seems to be that the (SP1) language resources editor seems to display the source language of the most recently created TM, not the source language of the current TM. That language cannot be changed. Changes to the resources are still allowed. If, however, a resource is changed (e.g. an abbreviation is added), an error message will usually pop up, saying that the language is incompatible with the current TM.

A workaround may be to create another, dummy TM in the language direction of the TM which is about to be changed. The dummy TM can be deleted again right away, but the procedure may just work around the issue that the dialog currently only offers the source language of the most recently created TM.

I hope this helps? We are pretty sure we have resolved this issue in SP2 that will be released soon.

Regards

Paul
SDL Support

Anne LJ
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Variables/Abbreviations copy in 2007/one by one in Studio? Feb 8, 2010

Hi Paul,

Many, many thanks for your explanation. Effectively, it has worked.

Now, I tried to insert variables and abbreviations from a customer into Studio (the list was very long) and, if I'm not wrong, Trados 2007 allows to copy the list under Users' list directly from a txt-file but in Studio, I must write each of them.... Is that right or is it possible to avoid this? My variables are about 4500 thousand.....

I'm glad to hear that we will early have SP2 at our disposal. The difference between the first version and SP1 was so huge that it has been a great relief!

Regards

Anne

United Kingdom
English
Resources in Studio Feb 8, 2010

Hi Anne,

The process in Studio is a little different because the variables and abbreviation lists are migrated when you upgrade your TM. However, you must be sure to select the upgraded resources at this stage in the process;

This way all the custom lists you have used will be migrated across too. If you have already migrated your TM and didn't do this, then you will need to create a new TM first by upgrading your Workbench TM with these custom resources, and then importing your existing TM into the new one. The easiest way to do this is to export the sdltm as a tmx and then import it into the new one with the correct language resources.

I hope this helps?

Paul
SDL Support

Tom Fennell
United States
Local time: 09:23
Member (2010)
Russian to English
+ ...
Thanks Paul Feb 8, 2010

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Anne,

The process in Studio is a little different because the variables and abbreviation lists are migrated when you upgrade your TM. However, you must be sure to select the upgraded resources at this stage in the process;

This way all the custom lists you have used will be migrated across too. If you have already migrated your TM and didn't do this, then you will need to create a new TM first by upgrading your Workbench TM with these custom resources, and then importing your existing TM into the new one. The easiest way to do this is to export the sdltm as a tmx and then import it into the new one with the correct language resources.

I hope this helps?

Paul
SDL Support

Dear Paul,

I'm very glad I read this, and that you have these workarounds, but as we'd say in Russian "Ой - йой-йой!" [Oy-yoy-yoy!] what a mess!

Any hope that one will be able to append long abbreviations lists obtain other Trdos 2007 functionality directly in Studio, or is Trados 2007 the long-term solution for lacking Studio functionality?

United Kingdom
English
Ideas Site Feb 8, 2010

Hi Tom,

I would agree with you that this functionality should be enhanced to make this more usable. There is a similar idea for this already if you want to vote?

http://ideas.sdltrados.com/ideas/detail.asp?i=2805

Certainly this is one I agree we should be thinking about.

Regards

Paul
SDL Support

Anne LJ
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Feb 9, 2010

especially to Paul for his fantastic and efficient help and to the other contributors.

Have a nice day

Anne

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio TM parameters (language resources): language drop menu doesn't work

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search