Thread poster: Edward edbradburn

Edward edbradburn
Germany
Local time: 01:52
German to English
+ ...
Feb 8, 2010

Hi Folks,

Just wanted to ask whether SDL Support staff read this forum at all.

I recently decided to try out Studio 2009, but cannot, since licensing is a problem.

While I believe I have submitted a support request via the "Solution Finder", I have received no confirmation of this, so I thought it would be worthwhile just posting a quick query here.

My issue relates to licensing an upgrade from Studio 2007, but I'll post more details once I know I have an audience, so to speak.

Cheers,

Ed

Direct link Reply with quote

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Yes, they read the forum regularly Feb 8, 2010

Hi Edward,

Yes, I am happy to confirm to you that Paul from SDL Trados reads this forum very regularly, and will undoubtedly answer your question if you provide further details of your problem here.

Astrid

Irene (Renata) Liapis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:52
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
License problems Feb 8, 2010

Hi Edward,
I am also having some problems which I believe are quite unacceptable.
Yesterday I installed Studio 2009 and upgraded Studio 2007 and faithfully followed their directions for returning the license from both my computers. I actually got a message both times saying that the return of the licenses was completed successfully.

However, when I went to my account to get the new licenses, they were nowhere to be found and I saw a message saying that I had a third license which I had not returned (I have no third license and furthermore cannot even understand how it is possible that I could have a third license, since you are only allowed to install the program on two computers).

I contacted the trados representative here in Greece early this morning to see about getting this issue solved, since I was working on a large job to be delivered today and here I was with no trados at all.
Well, after several phone calls later, I am still at square one and apparently it can take them 2 days or more to solve these issues. All I can say is I am thankful I also use Wordfast and was able to finish my work using that.

I find this whole situation rather unacceptable and will be thinking very carefully about upgrading again. This is not an inexpensive product and it is one that is necessary to us in our work. This kind of delay (not to mention the different types of problems which often occur whenever an upgrade or other changes are required ) indicates to me that trados is lacking in providing timely support to its customers.

I will let you know how this turns out.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
A few ideas Feb 9, 2010

Hello Renata et al,
as regards your third license problem, this may be due to the fact that you may have lost one of your licenses in the past and was granted one extra and free license from SDL. This is often the reason for problems related to upgrade licensing.
If you have logged a case in the Solution Finder, I believe the guys at SDL should contact you shortly. It usually takes them a day or two.

Edward edbradburn
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the helpful comments so far! Feb 9, 2010

Hello everyone,

Many thanks for the comment so far -- all very useful!

While I have been contacted to confirm that I have a licensing problem (or, rather, that SDL have a problem with their licensing system), I have not yet had confirmation that they have sorted the problem out.

As yet, there's no urgency -- I'm simply testing TRADOS 2009 out in a sandboxed environment (Win XP Mode on Windows 7) since I don't want to torpedo my current setup.

However, I do think that if a solution provider forces its customers to jump through the hoops of submitting support requests via web forms then it should at least confirm the receipt of the request at the end of the process.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Suggest an idea Feb 9, 2010

Edward Bradburn wrote:
However, I do think that if a solution provider forces its customers to jump through the hoops of submitting support requests via web forms then it should at least confirm the receipt of the request at the end of the process.

Absolutely, Edward. I'm with you 100% on that one. Perhaps you might want to suggest this on ideas.sdl.com.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Licensing and upgrade from SDL Trados 2007

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search