Cleaning does not strip source segment when it only contains index entry
Thread poster: Alan Frankel

Alan Frankel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:52
German to English
Feb 8, 2010

I'm using the Translator's Workbench from the Trados 7 freelancer suite, working in Microsoft Word. Whenever a segment in the source consists only of an index entry, cleaning the document (calling the tw4winMain.Clean macro) fails to strip out the source segment. Hence, the output looks like this, except that the whole thing is underlined with dots, like hidden text:

{0>{xe "asymmetrische:Metathese"}{xe "asymmetric:metathesis"}

Then both the source and the target phrases end up as entries when I update the index for the document.

The only way I've found to get around this problem is to delete the whole segment (source and target) manually, since Word won't allow me to delete just the source part and the flanking delimiters. Naturally, this is problematic, since I'm removing index entries that should be in the final document. Is anyone familiar with this problem? I can't find it addressed in the SDL knowledge base.

Direct link Reply with quote

Titia Meesters  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:52
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
same poblem.. try using 'cut' instead of 'delete' Feb 9, 2010

Hi Alan, I have had the same problem, only in my case, this was not dependent on the segment but it happened throughout my document. I wonder why you are not able to delete the source text plus delimiters? It is not possible with 'delete', but did you try "cut"? This works for me. You can also try to use the "search and replace" function and, if your hidden text has a different colour, search for that colour - just leave the replace field empty and you can delete all coloured text at once. Good luck!

Sandra& Kenneth  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 04:52
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Apply style Feb 9, 2010

Hi Alan,
In such cases, I usually apply a style other than tw4winMark to the entire string.
This will allow deleting the source string manually, including the index marker and the delimiters, like regular text. Then I would reformat (if necessary) the remaining string to match the rest of the "clean" paragraph (copy/paste format).
HTH,
Sandra

[Edited at 2010-02-09 15:32 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cleaning does not strip source segment when it only contains index entry

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search