Cleaning does not strip source segment when it only contains index entry
Thread poster: Alan Frankel

Alan Frankel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:10
German to English
Feb 8, 2010

I'm using the Translator's Workbench from the Trados 7 freelancer suite, working in Microsoft Word. Whenever a segment in the source consists only of an index entry, cleaning the document (calling the tw4winMain.Clean macro) fails to strip out the source segment. Hence, the output looks like this, except that the whole thing is underlined with dots, like hidden text:

{0>{xe "asymmetrische:Metathese"}{xe "asymmetric:metathesis"}

Then both the source and the target phrases end up as entries when I update the index for the document.

The only way I've found to get around this problem is to delete the whole segment (source and target) manually, since Word won't allow me to delete just the source part and the flanking delimiters. Naturally, this is problematic, since I'm removing index entries that should be in the final document. Is anyone familiar with this problem? I can't find it addressed in the SDL knowledge base.

Titia Meesters  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:10
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
same poblem.. try using 'cut' instead of 'delete' Feb 9, 2010

Hi Alan, I have had the same problem, only in my case, this was not dependent on the segment but it happened throughout my document. I wonder why you are not able to delete the source text plus delimiters? It is not possible with 'delete', but did you try "cut"? This works for me. You can also try to use the "search and replace" function and, if your hidden text has a different colour, search for that colour - just leave the replace field empty and you can delete all coloured text at once. Good luck!

Sandra& Kenneth  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 06:10
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Apply style Feb 9, 2010

Hi Alan,
In such cases, I usually apply a style other than tw4winMark to the entire string.
This will allow deleting the source string manually, including the index marker and the delimiters, like regular text. Then I would reformat (if necessary) the remaining string to match the rest of the "clean" paragraph (copy/paste format).
HTH,
Sandra

[Edited at 2010-02-09 15:32 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cleaning does not strip source segment when it only contains index entry

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search