I found that Trados Studio occasionally changes certain tags on TTX Import/Export from/to SDL TagEditor. SDL support says that this is not a bug. However, I find this irritating, and here is the essential conversation with SDL for people who also might be affected:
Reference No.: INC000000026899
Summary: TAG damage on TTX Import/Export
Kai Fiebach wrote:
While most TTX files work nicely in SDL Trados Studio 2009,
it looks as if certain TAGs can be damaged on import.
Please find a zip file with a sample attached, zip content...
Tag damage example:
Trados TagEditor 184.108.40.2066 (Trados 2006) works nicely.
Trados TagEditor 220.127.116.113 (Trados 2007) works nicely.
Only Trados Studio (Trados 2009) damages this TTX file.
I just spoke to someone from our development and he confirmed me that this is not a bug in Studio. Studio 2009 only changes the display text inside the tags but not the related references. If you use the the "Complete Tag Text" option in TagEditor, you can see, that the tags are still the same (see attached screenshots; you can download them in your support portal). Also when you look at your winmerge picture you will notice, that only the displaytext has changed but not the more important following reference. Have you or your agency tried to save the ttx file as inx file. There shouldn't be a problem with this file.
Kai Fiebach wrote:
Thanks, it's good to know that the modifications SDL Studio does to some TXX files are not serious. However, I still do not understand why these modifications should be necessary. I still consider any unwanted and undocumented changes done to the TTX files by Studio as a bug. This way I am forced to use the old TagEditor for being able to keep ALL original tags.
I assume you have been able to save the file back as correct target file. This indicates, that the Tags aren't different, only the displayed text is different (which shouldn't make any differences if you expand the tags in TagEditor/Studio. The reason of these differences is the way Studio handles TTX files (the filter is working differently then the one in TagEditor). If your clients asks about the differences, you can tell them to expand the Tags to the maximum size, then they will be able to see that there are no differences between the tags.
With the last response SDL closed the case.
And I am using TagEditor again for TTX jobs instead of Studio...