Thread poster: xxxStrastran
xxxStrastran
France
Local time: 14:54
French to English
+ ...
Feb 10, 2010

Hi everyone

I have recently begun attempting to use Trados 2009, and made the foolish mistake of translating 14,000 words in a powerpoint file for a customer who insists on having unclean files and TMs, without checking this was possible. I assumed it would be....but anyway.

I am now attempting to export the TM from 2009 so I can send the export to the customer, but I can't get my head round how it works. I have translated the file, but I don't know where the units I've translated actually 'are'. When I export the TM I have open, it says 'Exported 1,575 translated units'. However, this is nowhere near enough, in fact I can see that there are 3,573 in the document I've translated. The 1,575 units are in fact what the cusotmer originally sent in his TM.

I've attempted to go through Project > Batch Tasks > Update Main Translation Memories (or project translation memories), but get the message 'No translation memories found to update for language pair'.

I can't work out where the data I have translated actually *is*, to be able to export it.

The folder Documents / SDL Trados Studio / Projects is completely empty.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Patrick

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Where did you save your data? Feb 10, 2010

Which translation memories are set up in the project?

when creating a project you are asked where to put the data. So you decided where the data had to go. You where asked for the language pair and for the corresponding translation memory. All those information is coming from you, so you are the only person who can tell where the data is.

Now go to project menu and check the project settings - you will find the information about the corresponding translation memory and the project folder. In the project folder you will most certainly filnd also the project TM.

As for the compatiblity - it works very well, if you simply star with the ttx file instead of the original. Then you can create the ttx afterwards and also the translated target file. So then you would simply be able to provide the bilingual and target file to your customer.

xxxStrastran
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 10, 2010

Thanks for replying, Jerzy.

All of the Project files are in the same folder, where I specified when I began the project.

However, the TM contains nothing but what I began with at the start.

I'm still unable to export the units I've translated. I can't seem to 'find' the bits I've translated myself, even though I can see them on the screen.

After coming to the end of a translated file, is there an equivalent to 'cleaning' the file, so the TM is updated? Because at the moment I am sitting here looking at my translated units with no way to export them!

I'm aware I'm still thinking in the old 2007 way here, but this new approach is confusing me a little where TMs are concerned.

Thanks.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Locate the sdltm file and sdlxliff file for this project Feb 10, 2010

When you do that, go to TM view, open the sdltm file (this is the TM). Now it will be listed in the navigation pane on the left. Close the TM in the maintenance window - this will close the side-by-side editor for TM. Now right click on this TM in the navigation pane, chose Import, and select the sdlxliff file for the project. This will uodate the TM with the file, regardless what happened during the project.

During the project the project TM is updated by default, but it is possible, that you deactivated this.

ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:54
English to Italian
Saving TMs as you translate Feb 10, 2010

Hello

I am from SDL.

When you translated a segment - did youo press CTRL + ENTER to store the TM in the segment and moved on?

The command to store TMs as you translate it is different depending on your original set-up.

If you choose default - it is CTRL + ENTER
If you choose Trados - it is CTRL + ALT + ENTER
If you choose SDLX - it is CTRL + ALT + ENTER

If you moved through translation just with arrows or other commands nothing is stored in the TM.

The shortcut can be changed by going to Tools / Options / Keyboard Shortcuts.
You will find in the Editor section - under Confirm and move to the next segment.

Regards
Massi

xxxStrastran
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked! Feb 10, 2010

Well, Jerzy, I'd just like to say thanks for saving my day!

That seemed to do the trick perfectly.

I still had to recreate every segment of the file, copying and pasting the tags as I went (two hours, my wrist is killing me...), but that's down to my own mistake and, of course, it's better than no solution at all!

As for compatibility, I am slightly disappointed at some of the things that have been left behind by this version - but I know that it's just a case of getting used to a new way of working with it.

Thanks again.

Patrick

xxxStrastran
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ctrl + Enter Feb 10, 2010

Hi Massi

Thanks for your reply.

I did indeed press Ctrl + Enter after each segment, and got the little tick saying it had been saved.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM problem in Studio 2009

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search