Pascal Zotto  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 06:20
Member (2009)
Dutch to Letzeburgesch
+ ...
Feb 11, 2010

Hi,

Trados 2009 keeps crashing on my PC at home when I try to add a new term to the termbase.
At work this doesn't happen... I already tried to uninstall, clean registry an reinstall but same problem. Any hints?

Direct link Reply with quote

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Input model Feb 11, 2010

Hi Pascal,

Have you defined an input model for your termbase ("An input model is a termbase object that helps you control the entry of data into a termbase when you are adding new entries or editing existing ones" - MT help file)?

The instructions are in the MultiTerm help file but basically you have to open the TB, go to the Catalog pane and right-click "Input Models". A wizard will help you define your model(s).

HTH

Giles

[Edited at 2010-02-11 19:54 GMT]

Austria
Member (2009)
Dutch to Letzeburgesch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
even for an existing termbase Feb 11, 2010

Hi Giles,

Even if the termbase is exactly the same than the one I use at work? (I have it on a USB-Stick) 'cos at work it works without any problem.

Edit: Tried adding an input model but no change it still crashes...

[Bearbeitet am 2010-02-11 20:34 GMT]

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
I would imagine so Feb 11, 2010

If you only have the termbase on your memory stick, you'll be able to read terms but not add any.

If you don't want to create your own input model, you could copy the one you use at work - it's a file with the extension *.xdm that you can save to your memory stick from the "Input Models" menu - and load it into Multiterm using the "Load" command, again from the "Input Models" right-click menu.

HTH

PS
I've never used a termbase from a USD stick. Have you tried copying everything to your hard disk?

[Edited at 2010-02-11 21:01 GMT]

Austria
Member (2009)
Dutch to Letzeburgesch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
new termbase same problem Feb 11, 2010

Hi,

I tried setting up a new termbase (on the harddisk) and using that one but the problem remains the same

Austria
Member (2009)
Dutch to Letzeburgesch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no input model in working termbase Feb 12, 2010

Hi Giles,

I checked the termbase at work for the input model and can't find one to export.

jaymin
Canada
Local time: 00:20
Member (2009)
German to Korean
+ ...
2009 version Feb 12, 2010

Seems to me that 2009 edition is not stable. I see all types of errors are here and there.
Should I look into another tool?

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Often Windows is the culprit Feb 12, 2010

jaymin wrote:

Seems to me that 2009 edition is not stable. I see all types of errors are here and there.
Should I look into another tool?

I don't know about finding another tool - Trados sure has it advantages IMO, but of course also a fair amount of bugs.
However, in my experience, many bugs stem from the platform WINDOWS Whatever, but maybe that's just me?

I am still hoping that Trados will some day realise their error and become platform independent. ;o)

Q. Feb 15, 2010

Pascal Zotto wrote:

Hi,

Trados 2009 keeps crashing on my PC at home when I try to add a new term to the termbase.
At work this doesn't happen... I already tried to uninstall, clean registry an reinstall but same problem. Any hints?

Do you have additional versions of Java installed beyond those installed by SDL, ie. Java updates?

Austria
Member (2009)
Dutch to Letzeburgesch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Java aso all up to date Feb 15, 2010

Hi,

All programms installed are up to date on both computers (same configuration) that's why I cannot understand the problem to add new terms.

Eszes  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Same here Mar 17, 2010

I experience the same problem. I can add about 6 or 7 new terms and than the Termbase crashes (unknown fatal error). It seems to help a little to progress slowly with new additions, wait a few seconds after each action; but eventually it will crash.
This means I have to quit Trados 2009. Open the Termbase in Ms Access and restore the database. Takes a few seconds, but still is a pain...

I have this happening on 2 computers. Both Windows 7; one 32 bit and one 64 bit.

Michel

Francoise Perigaut
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Random Mar 17, 2010

It doesn't crash here, but it's completely random.
About half of the time, it won't add any term, the MultiTerm window remains blank.
If I try again, then it crashes and I have to restart everything.

Most of the time it works again when I restart Studio. So it has nothing to do with my Java settings, I guess. It happens with different termbases too – old termbases created with former MultiTerm versions, new termbases... I can't see any difference.

I already had this problem before the SP2 update, I was hoping it would solve it, but it didn't.

Austria
Member (2009)
Dutch to Letzeburgesch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
have a look here Mar 18, 2010

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/159529-sdl_multiterm_8112640_sp2_probem_cannot_add_or_edit_terms_from_inside_studio_sp2.html

that should help

Thomas Groendal  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:20
Japanese to English
My workaround Mar 28, 2010

I would just like to let you all know my workaround to the same problem.

I have:
Windows XP SP3.
Trados 2009, MT 2009.

When adding a term within Trados Studio 2009, the program was first showing a null error for connector.js, then later began crashing completely.

I tried a variety of solutions, but the one that cleaned up the problem completely was:

1. Remove all versions of the Javascript Runtime Environment (JRE).
Note: After uninstalling version 18, the program stopped crashing, and went back to the null error I was receiving before.
2. Install legacy versions of the JRE, starting from 12, in order to find the version that matches your build of Trados Studio.
- Install a version.
- Test the problem.
Note: In my case, after getting up to JRE version 14 everything was restored to full functionality.
3. Go to the settings for Java in the control panel.
4. Turn off automatic update.

This is clearly a workaround not a solution. SDL should should be updated to function with JRE 18 and future versions.

I hope that helps.
Tom Groendal

Austria
Member (2009)
Dutch to Letzeburgesch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
started crashing again Aug 20, 2010

tried all solutions above to no avail... could anyone at trados do anything about this problem?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2009 crashing when adding new term

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search