Studio 2009 SP1 doesn't start anymore... "Object reference not sent...
Thread poster: Fabrizio Franchitti

Fabrizio Franchitti  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:26
Italian to French
+ ...
Feb 11, 2010

Dear all,
Please, anytime but now.... Just when I send to the client "files on their way, need to do a final check", I try to open Trados and it won't.
Error message: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

After reading all the posts, searching the web (for more than 3 hours now) and trying all the tips and tricks I could find, still nothing! I tried the hotfix, uninstall - reinstall, download from my account and re-install, still not working. It worked fine Tuesday and Wednesday (intensive using until yesterday evening) and today nothing.

Worth mentioning, I run trados on a macbook pro with parallels. The only tiny problem I had was at the beginning, the "do not share files" issue which was solved and since October not the slightest problem.

What are my options now?

Thank you very much in advance for your kind assistance.

Good night !
Fabrizio

Direct link Reply with quote

Jean-Pierre Artigau
Canada
Local time: 06:26
English to French
+ ...
Moving directories Feb 11, 2010

Since your last Trados session, did you move any of your essential files or directories? Put them back where they were if you can remember.

Otherwise you can also try this: locate the directory where your project files are; on my computer, by default they are under C:\Documents and Settings\XP\My documents\SDL Trados Studio\Projects.

There you find a folder with the name you gave your project. It has several subfolders including one called after your target language. For instance, my target language is French Canadian, the folder is called fr-CA. In this subfolder you find your translated files in Trados format, as they are before you "finalize" them, i.e. convert them to whatever word processing format (for example MS Word).

The names of these files end with the suffix "sdlxliff". Mine have a double suffix "doc.sdlxliff" because they are destined to be converted into MS Word format. Click on one of these files and it should start your program (just like when you click on a Word document to start MS Word).

Good luck.

Jean-Pierre

[Modifié le 2010-02-12 00:19 GMT]

Nikolaj Widenmann
United States
Local time: 04:26
Member (2007)
Danish to English
+ ...
Same error message; I can't close Trados Feb 12, 2010

I just go the same error message when trying to save Studio 2009. Then when I tried to close it again, it just ignored my request... And this morning at 3:30 am, after finishing a long translation, the last batch of it (luckily I did not translate it in one file) refused to save in Word. Eventually I ended up copying and pasting everything into Word for about an hour-and-a-half.

Now, if only this had been Toyota...

Fabrizio Franchitti  Identity Verified
Italian to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nothing has changed... Feb 12, 2010

... between Wednesday and Thursday, it worked fine and now it just won't open...

I didn't buy the PSMA so what am I supposed to do now? I tried everything I could find in the knowledge base, nothing, and obviously I do not have a contact person.

This is so not fair...
Thanks for your help anyway, I keep on experimenting, if I come up with a solution, I will share it
Have a nice day
F.

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Possible workaround? Feb 12, 2010

Ciao Fabrizio,

One suggestion I received from SDL to get round problems resulting from manually shifted files ("Failed to initialise" error message on start-up) was to delete the projects.xml file. It's at:

Raccolta Documenti>SDL Trados Studio>Projects>projects.xml

on my Italian-language Windows 7 system. You should then be able to restart the program, although you'll need to browse to existing projects to reload them.

In the end, I didn't need to use the ploy so I can't guarantee anything but it's there if you want to try it.

In bocca al lupo!

[Edited at 2010-02-12 11:25 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 SP1 doesn't start anymore... "Object reference not sent...

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search