Which antivirus works best with SDL Trados?
Thread poster: Anaviva

Anaviva  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:30
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 14, 2010

Hi

I've just bought a new laptop and am in the process of buying new software. The machine came equipped with trial McAfee antivirus software but I'm wondering if it's better to purchase a different antivirus system since previous experience with McAfee has shown me that it really slows down the computer. Does anyone have any recommendations as to whcih antivirus works best both in terms of protection and speed? I use office 2007 in conjunction with SDL Trados 2009 99% of the time.

Thanks

Ana


 

Miro Pollak  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 02:30
English to Slovak
+ ...
ESET Feb 14, 2010

For me, ESET Smart Security is the winner.

 

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
none 100% Feb 14, 2010

I know it sounds as bad as it really is...
As far as I have quite much to do with IT specialists and Admins I can tell even from my experience that most antivirs are rather useless. I mean that they
1) can identify ONLY what they know from their database;
2) heuristic-like features are but non-standard packer-checkers; don't make big hopes here;
3) posing any AV as a front-line cure-it-all makes laugh not only profi, but even average users and children;
4) there's only some 50/50 guarantee to 'cure', not 100% (or even >90%)
. . .
The main drawback is they search reactively - when the PC is either infected or already got some malware which user can run.

As far as proactive protection (HIPS) makes it much more efficient and takes less CPU time and thus eliminates most possible software conflicts. I think this is the best way atm:
if it cannot run then it cannot cause damage

Unfortunately, standard HIPS (Comodo+, ThreatFire etc) take a bit of time and require some knowledge and patience to learn the patterns and approve the rules for softwares/processes allowed/denied actions.
The only solution asking almost no question while working and protecting the PC at the moment is paid GesWall PF v3 (beta yet) by Softsphere. Technically speaking it's just a HIPS + a sandbox (virtual isolated environment) + a firewall. It not but an unproved AD: almost a hundred people I know checked and tested it thoroughly. Using GW *properly* one just need to sweep garbage periodically (delete inactive malwares via any updated on-demand virscanner) - they remain harmless and untrusted.

If you still prefer 'standard' solutions then it would be wise to consider only AVs with networking control, HIPS and virtualization.

As for me, on one PC I use free Comodo Internet Security and on two others I use a free ThreatFire and a router (instead of a firewall). As usually it did require some tuning though. Anyway, preventions is always better and more efficient then curing. Mind backups) Hope it helps.

Cheers


 

Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 21:30
English to Portuguese
Microsoft Security Essentials works fine for me... Feb 15, 2010

Hello

After many years using the (so considered) best AV suites, I decided to give a try to the combination of Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) and Windows Firewall in my Windows 7 64-bit, and I am pretty satisfied:

- it has already detected several virus trying to sneak into my PC;

- the combination of MSE and Windows Firewall is as native and integrated and non-disturbing for other applications as it could be, since it is Microsoft's;

- it has received many very good evaluations from respected organizations like AV-Comparatives. In fact, MSE has received the classification "Advanced +", surpassing many known suites. Check it at http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/main-tests

- last, it's free. I put this on the bottom of the list because you should think more on protection than on spending a few bucks yearly for licenses, but it does not hurt to have an "Advanced +" A/V as a free add-on...

Cheers

Edric

[Edited at 2010-02-15 12:58 GMT]


 

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 19:30
Member
Spanish
+ ...
Thank you Feb 15, 2010

Thank you for such an informative post. I'm going to proceed to install ThreatFire because I had Comodo and it was really a pain to use, but I guess it was worth it.

Regards,

Claudia

DZiW wrote:

I know it sounds as bad as it really is...
As far as I have quite much to do with IT specialists and Admins I can tell even from my experience that most antivirs are rather useless. I mean that they
1) can identify ONLY what they know from their database;
2) heuristic-like features are but non-standard packer-checkers; don't make big hopes here;
3) posing any AV as a front-line cure-it-all makes laugh not only profi, but even average users and children;
4) there's only some 50/50 guarantee to 'cure', not 100% (or even >90%)
. . .
The main drawback is they search reactively - when the PC is either infected or already got some malware which user can run.

As far as proactive protection (HIPS) makes it much more efficient and takes less CPU time and thus eliminates most possible software conflicts. I think this is the best way atm:
if it cannot run then it cannot cause damage

Unfortunately, standard HIPS (Comodo+, ThreatFire etc) take a bit of time and require some knowledge and patience to learn the patterns and approve the rules for softwares/processes allowed/denied actions.
The only solution asking almost no question while working and protecting the PC at the moment is paid GesWall PF v3 (beta yet) by Softsphere. Technically speaking it's just a HIPS + a sandbox (virtual isolated environment) + a firewall. It not but an unproved AD: almost a hundred people I know checked and tested it thoroughly. Using GW *properly* one just need to sweep garbage periodically (delete inactive malwares via any updated on-demand virscanner) - they remain harmless and untrusted.

If you still prefer 'standard' solutions then it would be wise to consider only AVs with networking control, HIPS and virtualization.

As for me, on one PC I use free Comodo Internet Security and on two others I use a free ThreatFire and a router (instead of a firewall). As usually it did require some tuning though. Anyway, preventions is always better and more efficient then curing. Mind backups) Hope it helps.

Cheers


 

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
CIS complex? Feb 15, 2010

Hi Claudia,

I value your decision, but if it was rather difficult for you to cope with CIS D+ then I'm a bit worried;) I mean that TF also requires some knowledge and understanding to work properly, e.g. check Advanced Settings> Custom rules section.

Also, especially if you are not behind a hardware router then you'll need a separate software protection - a decent firewall like free OutPost'2009 (6.5.1 or above) or PC Tools Firewall+ should do.

Anyway, don't forget to (mutually) specify 'trusted' or 'ignored' applications from supervising to avoid possible disappointments.

Salute)


 

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:30
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
the tortoise and the hare Feb 15, 2010

Anaviva wrote:
...previous experience with McAfee has shown me that it really slows down the computer. Does anyone have any recommendations as to which antivirus works best both in terms of protection and speed?

You are no doubt familiar with Aesop's fable about the tortoise and the hare. I reckon the same applies to anti-virus software. Fast software must by definition do less checking than slow software. The fact that McAfee slows down your computer may seem to be a disadvantage, but is actually an advantage, a positive benefit. What is the point of compromising -- trading off some protection in order to gain a few seconds? Remember that the tortoise won the race, not the hare.
PS I do not use McAfee.


 

jyconte
Local time: 17:30
Antivirus with Trados Feb 15, 2010

Anaviva wrote:

Hi

I've just bought a new laptop and am in the process of buying new software. The machine came equipped with trial McAfee antivirus software but I'm wondering if it's better to purchase a different antivirus system since previous experience with McAfee has shown me that it really slows down the computer. Does anyone have any recommendations as to whcih antivirus works best both in terms of protection and speed? I use office 2007 in conjunction with SDL Trados 2009 99% of the time.

Thanks

Ana


Mc Affee is the worst, once installed it is practically impossible to uninstall it completely (even going into the registry), so it comes back from time to time.

Norton works great and doesn't slow much (I use Norton 360). Though I don't like it (but it is the editor's choice oc PC Magazine). Kaspersky is the best alternative, but it needs to be setup properly to not interfere with the Workbench (just look at my post in this forum about TM reorganisation).

Just for the record, a test in an European lab (don't recall the country -France maybe - but it doesn't matter) Kaspersky and Dr. Web were the only ones to resist more than hour to multiple virus attacks. Norton was broken in in 10 minutes or so, Gdata in less than 15 minutes and the other around that time or less.

Bottom line don't play with that, a friend of mine just a few days ago had an intrusion looking as a genuine Windows window called System security that installed itself and began to block everything, reporting numerous virus etc. I tried to access his computer over the Internet and was cut off very quickly and he got the blue screen of death (BOD). I have been able to pilot him over the phone to restore the computer at an earlier time. Fortunately he had already sent his latest work and didn't lose anything important.

Jean-Yves


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which antivirus works best with SDL Trados?

Advanced search







SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search