Could not contact activation server (Error code 50003)
Thread poster: Michal Chmielewski

Michal Chmielewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:07
German to Polish
+ ...
Feb 15, 2010

After I had fixed My Microsoft Word 2007 programm, my Trados asked me surprisingly to enter my activation code despite the fact that the programm had been activated before. After I had enter my registration key and tried to register, I got the following error message:

Please help!

My software: SDL Trados 2007 Freelance
Operation system: Windows Vista

Regards

Mike

Direct link Reply with quote

maciejm  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Uninstall and reinstall Feb 15, 2010

I have encountered the same problem twice so far. No matter what I did, I kept receiving the same message - "Could not contact activation server (Error code 50003)". Finally, someone told me to uninstall Trados altogether and then reinstall it. Suprisingly, it worked! Don't ask me why, because I don't know, but it did.

My software: SDL Trados 2007 Freelance
Operation system: Windows XP

Cheers,

M

Deborah Hoffman  Identity Verified

Local time: 07:07
Russian to English
+ ...
argh Mar 7, 2010

I am losing my mind with this same problem. About a week and a half ago I had a crash which I recovered from but Trados decided I needed to reinstall my license, but then refused to do so. Trados support said I somehow had 3 licenses activated and needed to deactivate one, which I did. Still no luck. Returned the other one so now I theoretically have NO licenses installed and still am not permitted to use the full version of this software. It was suggested that the error code 50003 means my computer is not able to access their server so I needed to login as administrator (I am), turn off firewall, and also tweak my security settings, which I did. Still no luck.

Meanwhile I have been creating lots of little TMs in demo mode. However I've finally finished my large text and need to be able to at least update my real TM before I clean permanently.

I will now try the complete reinstall suggested by Michal.

I can't tell you how much time I've wasted with this. Somebody tell me why this program is worth it.

(Trados 2007 Freelance, Windows XP)

marie-cecile  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:07
English to French
+ ...
Same here Mar 8, 2010

I am considering reinstalling Trados 2007 but I have already wasted so much time with this, fortunately (because it costs a fortune ah ah ah) I have Trados Studio too and can work with it to complete my work. Once I am done with this job I will try to fix Trados 2007 since Trados Studio doesn't handle the text TM I receive from some clients. Argh.

Michal Chmielewski  Identity Verified
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reinstalling Trados is the only solution for this problem by far Mar 8, 2010

Hello to everybody,

I have reinstalled my Trados program as suggested by Maciej and it is working. Shame to SDL that there are so many problems which can be solved only by reinstalling the program what is a big waste of time. Sometimes Trados really drives one crazy but I still think that it is the best CAT program developed.

Good luck with your Trados problems

Michal

xxxOptiproz Pri
English
Give the following a try.... Mar 9, 2010

The error 50003 & 50004 during the activation of the product is related to opening and closing the Trusted Storage file (the Trusted Storage is the place where the license information is stored)

The problem may be related to permissions on the machine your are working on. Please make sure that you are logged in to the machine as Administrators because this is a requirement for the first installation as the licensing service has to be installed.

To test this you can check if you are able to access and write to the folder:

for Windows XP users:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\FLEXnet
and
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher

for Windows Vista / Windows 7 users:
C:\Users\All Users\FLEXnet
and
==============================================
Microsoft Windows Vista
1. Click the Start button and select Run.
2. In the Open field, enter the path C:\Users\All Users\FLEXnet and click OK. This action opens a window that displays the folder contents.
3. In the Folder window, click View and then select Customize This Folder.
4. In the Properties window, click the Security tab.
5. Click the Advanced button.
6. Scroll down the list of Permission entries and double-click the SYSTEM user.
7. Select the checkbox for Full Control row in the Allow column and click OK. Repeat this step with the Everyone group (if it exists).
8. Check the box labeled Replace permission entries on all child objects with the entries shown here that apply to child objects. Click OK in the Advanced Security Settings window and again in
the All Users Properties window.
9. Install SDL Trados

NOTE: Please do the same for folder:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition
1. Click the Start button and select Run.
2. In the Open field, enter the path C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\FLEXnet and click OK. This action opens a window that displays the folder contents.
3. In the Folder window, click View and then select Customize This Folder.
4. In the Properties window, click the Security tab.
5. Click the Advanced button.
6. Scroll down the list of Permission entries and double-click the SYSTEM user.
7. Select the checkbox for Full Control row in the Allow column and click OK. Repeat this step with the Everyone group (if it exists).
8. Check the box labeled Replace permission entries on all child objects with the entries shown here that apply to child objects. Click OK in the Advanced Security Settings window and again in
9. Install SDL Trados

=============================================
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
1. Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
- 1. If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power.
- 2. Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.
- 3. Immediately start pressing the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu displays. If you begin pressing F8 too soon, some computers display a keyboard error message. If this
occurs, restart the computer and try again.
- 4. Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode.
- 5. Press Enter. The computer begins to start in Safe Mode. (You might need to press Enter again if prompted to select an operating system.)
- 6. Log in to Windows using a profile that has Administrator rights, but not the Windows-created user called Administrator.
2. Click the Start button and select Run.
3. In the Open field, enter the path C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\FLEXnet and click OK. This action opens a window that displays the folder contents.
4. In the Folder window, click View and then select Customize This Folder.
5. In the Properties window, click the Security tab. Note: If the Security tab is not available, the system is not running in Safe Mode. See step 1 for instructions on starting in Safe Mode.
6. Click the Advanced button.
7. Scroll down the list of Permission entries and double-click the SYSTEM user.
8. Select the checkbox for Full Control row in the Allow column and click OK. Repeat this step with the Everyone group (if it exists).
9. Check the box labeled Replace permission entries on all child objects with the entries shown here that apply to child objects. Click OK in the Advanced Security Settings window and again in
10. Restart the computer.
11. Install SDL Trados.

Deborah Hoffman  Identity Verified

Local time: 07:07
Russian to English
+ ...
thanks for wasting my time Trados, now I have the same problem again May 10, 2010

This is so frustrating. Why did I ever buy this product? Instead of working I'm fixing something that shouldn't need to be fixed. Next time I'm going to send a bill.

terrypp
Local time: 12:07
German to English
Error code 50003 Jun 30, 2010

That did it for me, too, thanks whoever it was - I had disabled the FlexNet service.

I enabled it again (access Services by right-clicking the My Computer icon from the Start bar, select Manage, then Services and Applications, then Services), set it to Automatic, then re-started my computer.

Trados then launched as normal, no Demo mode nags, and recognized that I had purchased and licensed and activated the product already.

That tip saved me hours of hassle. Thanks.

Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 14:07
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Great advice about that FLEXnet! Jul 22, 2010

I was starting today to be mad, once again, at Trados, for the second time this had happened to me, but decided to read a bit first, before calling them.

This FLEXnet service tip saved me a lot of hassle and aggro for sure!

Many thanks!

Doron

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search