Toggling azerty/qwerty in TagEditor
Thread poster: BeCrystalClear

BeCrystalClear  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:01
English to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 16, 2010

Hi all,

I've accidentally toggled from azerty to qwerty in TagEditor. I simultaneously pressed some buttons in the lower left area of my keyboard (ctrl, alt, shift etc) and am at my wits' end because I can't change it back.

The problem only occurs in TagEditor: my internet browser, MS Word etc. are still in azerty. Any ideas on how I might be able to toggle back to azerty in TagEditor?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Wim

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
ALT+SHIFT Feb 16, 2010

It is NOT in any way connected to Trados, but just a Windows shortcut to switch between input languages. You should also have a small language tool bar left from your task bar bay (which is there, where the clock is - I don't remember the proper English name).
Switching the languages is done by consequently pressing ALT+SHIFT.
You can also check in Tageditor settings, if the option for automatic switching keyboard to the target language is activated.
The language switch occurs also sometimes, when searching concordance.

But I must admit I am astonished by the lack of such knowledge for someone, who is translator and works with languages... Computer is your tool, so I would really advise you to take some lessons in that. Or what would you do, if the guy in your garrage would ask you how to repair your car?

BeCrystalClear  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, changing the language did the trick Feb 16, 2010

Hi Jerzy,

Thanks for your quick reply. As you suggested, changing the language setting in the windows toolbar (bottom right of the screen) did the trick. Thank you very much for that.

On the other hand, I think it is unfair of you to assume I am a complete computer nitwit just because I happen not to know the ALT+SHIFT shortcut. Is it really so strange to assume that the problem is specific to Trados when it only occurs in Trados?

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sorry, but it IS strange to make Trados guilty for that Feb 16, 2010

I admit my remark was neither kind nor nice.
But I'm here on ProZ since ten years, helping others all the time.
I'm really afraid my help battery is nearly empty and I do not see any potential to get it recharged, unfortunately.
Slowly but steadily I have lost my temper here and that are the results. As simple as that.

Alexandre Oberlin  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
This is clearly connected to Trados and a Tageditor bug May 12, 2010

BeCrystalClear wrote:

On the other hand, I think it is unfair of you to assume I am a complete computer nitwit just because I happen not to know the ALT+SHIFT shortcut. Is it really so strange to assume that the problem is specific to Trados when it only occurs in Trados?

Hi all,

I ran into the exact same problem as you did and I just had to find out how to go back to the azerty layout which had been changed by Tageditor. I am not a Windows fan and I did not know about the alt shift shortcut.
I never have the slightest use of a non azerty keyboard layout and TagEditor is the only application that ever changed it, and this despite the (useful ?) option "Switch keyboards automatically" was unchecked.

So yes, IMHO it is clearly connected to Trados so it is not strange to make Trados guilty for that since it is definitely a bug in TagEditor.

It's so funny to see users blame other users who dare to complain about application bugs!

Cheers,

P.S. It looks like Proz is playing the same kind of game right now: depending on the link you clicked (from google results page, typically) you will land on different subdomains of Proz (urd.proz.com, bel.proz.com...), where the UI is labeled in different languages or alphabets. First time I was on urd.proz.com where everything was in Urdu alphabet I guess, now I have searched again and on bel.proz.com the post button in Cyrillic and other in English.
But I guess this is a feature too
More seriously it looks like proz forgot to indicate the languages of their subdomains for the search engines.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
It is NOT a bug and not connected to Tageditor May 12, 2010

I am using the software on numerous computers - destkop, laptop, virtual PC and have always met the behaviour as expected. The keyboard behaved exactly as set up for the chosen language.

And please - you are translators, what means you work with different languages. And you wanna tel me you've never heard about switching languages and keyboard layouts under Windows? Or if you work with Mac, never seen/heard about that there?
I am sorry, but obviously I do live on another planet.
How then do you enter the text in your language, when you do not have the appropriate hardware keyboard for that? Really strange...

However, I fully understand, that it is much easier to blame the software you probably do not like...

B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
toggling May 12, 2010

I work in French and English and find toggling between QWERTY and AZERTY invaluable. Sometimes, if typing in English on QWERTY I will shift to AZERTY for a single accented letter and instantly back for the next letter. I don't like using ALT SHIFT because it doesn't give the same feedback about what layout I am changing to, so have set up ALT SHIFT 10 for QWERTY and ALT SHIFT 9 for AZERTY I have a spare QWERTY keyboard to hand to look at if I forget where any thing is, but generally type on a keyboard that is marked up as AZERTY.

Only problem can be if I type a bit without looking and there is a word in the other language in the middle then I cqn get so,ething q bit ,uddled; ou qlt2rqntive;ent en frqn9qis 9q peut qussi [etre un peu biwqrre/

But that only happens occasionally! I do find that my fingers automatically tune in to the layout of the language I am working in, except for some of the less used symbols.

Barbara

France
English to French
+ ...
Tageditor does switch keyboards though I don't ask it to May 15, 2010

Hi all,

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
How then do you enter the text in your language, when you do not have the appropriate hardware keyboard for that? Really strange...

I'm not talking about languages with different alphabets of course, but what on Earth is the use of having several layouts for western European languages?
I use the layout on which I am able to type without looking at the keyboard, which happens to be azerty, and I can type anything from any Latin alphabet. On Windows, you might sometimes have to use the ALT + code on keypad to type some foreign accentuated characters, but this of course never happens in English. Moreover it is straightforward in Linux, and quite feasible in Windows using adequate utilities, to define easier keystrokes for the foreign accentuated characters that are not readily accessible on your keyboard.

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
However, I fully understand, that it is much easier to blame the software you probably do not like...

You love Trados don't you?
You must disable "Switch keyboards automatically" to see the bug.

Cheers,

Alexandre

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post.

France
English to French
+ ...
Workaround in XP Jun 17, 2010

Hi all,

In case it may help, this is a workaround in XP for those who do not want to have their keyboard layout changed automatically:
Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options -> Languages -> Details -> Installed services

Specifying the same keyboard for all listed languages worked for me in preventing Tageditor from changing my keyboard layout.

Tageditor might still change you input language even if you only ever translate into your mother tongue, but at least the consequences won't be that annoying if the same keyboard layout is specified for the new input language.

Cheers,

Alexandre

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
US International, Autohotkey etc. Jun 17, 2010

Alexandre Oberlin wrote:

Specifying the same keyboard for all listed languages worked for me in preventing Tageditor from changing my keyboard layout.

Well, true.
I use the universal US International keyboard for all the Western Europe languages.
It makes few sense to learn a gazillion of layouts, including especially the French AZERTY I frankly hate.

Tageditor might still change you input language even if you only ever translate into your mother tongue, but at least the consequences won't be that annoying if the same keyboard layout is specified for the new input language.

Unless you translate to Polish, Slovak, Russian or many other languages etc. and you really must use a different keyboard layout.
Of course, you can always use AutoHotkey.

BTW.
I'm still amazed how many translation students are not aware of Alt+Shift and Co.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-06-17 12:34 GMT]

France
English to French
+ ...
One keyboard layout can suffice for all Western European languages Jun 17, 2010

Hi all,

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

I'm still amazed how many translation students are not aware of Alt+Shift and Co.

That's because you practice both Western and Eastern European languages.
People who only practice Western languages (like I do), not necessarily feel the urge to use several keyboard layouts, even less so if they only translate into their mother tongue.

A function or shortcut you never use is soon forgotten. As a matter of fact I've forgotten it again since I found the workaround

Cheers,

Alexandre

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Toggling azerty/qwerty in TagEditor

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search