How to set more languages?
Thread poster: Isabel Conde

Isabel Conde  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 17, 2010

About 2 weeks ago I bought Trados Studio that comes with Trados 2007. When I installed it I specified only the English to Spanish combination figuring out that I could set another combination later on. When I talk to someone more experienced than me, he told me that I should put all the languages I am going to use from the beginning. He sent me an article that explain how to install it. However, in order to set all the languages I have to run the Wizard during installation. The question is: How can I run the Wizard without having to installed it again?

Thank you in advance,

Argee

Direct link Reply with quote

Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:08
German to Spanish
+ ...
How to set more languages?" Feb 17, 2010

a) Make a backup of the registry

b) Try to hack the registry with the language numbers you need as it is explained by means of this thread

[Editado a las 2010-02-17 16:32 GMT]

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't understand what I am supposed to do. Feb 17, 2010

Sorry for my ignorance. Can you explain more?

Argee

German to Spanish
+ ...
How to set more languages?" Feb 17, 2010

Trados basically does not allow to modify the select languages, if you do not reinstall it from scratch. To hack the windows registry, you have to go into Windows to Init > Run, then type regedit in the textbox and to press the Accept button.

The windows registry editor will appear and you will see a directory tree.

Open the subtree HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Open the subtree SOFTWARE

Then, you will have to search manually another subtree that contains the word Trados, similar to this one:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \\SOFTWARE \\Wow6432Node \\TRADOS \\Shared \\IDNG

or this one:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \\SOFTWARE \\TRADOS \\Shared \\IDNG

and a key similar to this:

{D7020440-18AB-11D0-B16A-005D534D4F51}

The last numbers (in hexadecimal format) represent the installed languages.
For example, in the last numbers in hexadecimal format {D7020440-18AB-11D0-B16A-00*5D53524784*} the languages would be:

84 = not used
47 = Dutch
52 = Danish
53 = German
D5 = English

Replacing one of this hexadecimal number with other of the list will change the existing language into that one of the list. Modifying the windows registry is a delicate operation. Therefore, I advise you to do it with the help of a person turned in computer science. If you are not able to get such help the easiest and surest thing will be to reinstall Trados from scratch.

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Pablo. Feb 17, 2010

I sure enough will try installing Trados from scratch. My only concern is if Trados will allow such thing or will be "thinking" that I am installing it in another computer, since I paid for only one computer. What do you think about it?

Argee

German to Spanish
+ ...
How to set more languages?" Feb 18, 2010

argee01 wrote:

I sure enough will try installing Trados from scratch. My only concern is if Trados will allow such thing or will be "thinking" that I am installing it in another computer, since I paid for only one computer. What do you think about it?

Argee

I suppose that if you are installing it to the same computer, it shouldn't give you any problem. But, really I do not know. As you own a legal copy, maybe it is worth you take a short call to your provider to ask him about.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Return your licence Feb 18, 2010

My only concern is if Trados will allow such thing or will be "thinking" that I am installing it in another computer, since I paid for only one computer

There is a licence return "feature" in Studio which would be good to use before you uninstall and reinstall.

1. Return your licence
hELP>ABOUT>LICENCE MANAGER>VIEW ACTIVATED LICENCES>RETURN LICENCE
2. uninstall,
3. re-install choosing the languages you want
4. activate your licence

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both of you for your time. Feb 18, 2010

Dear Emma,
I will try this and will let you know how it went.
Last night I contacted SDL, and although they didn't provide details, they said:

Please note-

The languages must be set when installing the software.
This cannot be done after the software has been installed.
You will need to complete a new fresh reinstall.

Please do not forget to return the license BEFORE deleting the software.

So, I will follow your advise,

Thank you again,

argee

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to set more languages?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search