Problems in taking up use of Trados
Thread poster: ian ward
ian ward  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:37
French to English
Feb 18, 2010

I've had the thing awhile and now I want to use it. It seemed well-bugged to me at first, couldn't handle the simplest file.
SDL support sorted me out on a test file (I had to set a font default parameter) but now I want to use it in anger, you know, take a real file and translate it, nothing complicated. Well the bug I had on ANY file has now reappeared and SDL don't seem very interested for the moment.
I have to say I'm quite disgusted.
I haven't gone into any details here, I'd just like to know if anyone else has had similar problems vis. "SDL Trados junk is unuseable right from the off".
I would be most appreciative as, being an ex-IT person, I detest struggling with obdurate software packages
thanks in advance
Ian

Direct link Reply with quote

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
"viz" not "vis" ! Feb 18, 2010

just to get the thread going !!

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:37
English to Russian
+ ...
I am sorry for you Feb 18, 2010

I know the feeling.
Which version you use?

(edited my regular mistake - what vs. which)

[Edited at 2010-02-18 19:12 GMT]

Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Which version? Feb 18, 2010

Hi Ian,
I'm really sorry you're struggling; it may help others if you specify what version you're using? Is it Studio 2009, Freelance 2007, or something different?

All the best.

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Could you describe your problem, please? Feb 18, 2010

Hi Ian,

It would help us to help you if you could describe your problem more specifically. In particular, could you state which version you are using. Are we talking about the 2007 software or about the 2009 software (Studio)? Certainly the software works, and it is highly sophisticated. Many translators use it all the time. However, precisely because it is sophisticated, it is necessary to learn to use it properly. There are training courses and packages available, both from SDL and through this site.

For the moment, if you describe your exact present problem here, we will try to help you.

Astrid

[Edited at 2010-02-18 18:55 GMT]

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
wow, hello all..... I don't feel so bad now ! Feb 18, 2010

This is Trados Freelance 2007.
I don't think I have a problem learning how to use it, I just need to stop it falling over everytime I ask it to translate a line of text. I can be a bit uncooperative with computers sometimes BUT I DO use wordfast, I have read the basic Trados tutorial and being an ex-IT person, I usually do manage but......

Firstly, even on a simple unformatted file of say three lines of text in an MSWord file, I would be able to navigate one or two lines, translate them, put it SEEMED that as soon as it tried to use an entry in the TM, exp reopening a line, or coming across a line with a fuzzy match, it would respond with the following ....

-{}-

and thereafter the workbench reports "previous request not yet finished" when I try to do anything else.

I was finally able to deal with this simple file once SDL support, after some head-scratching, suggested I set the font default to arial unicode or something like that.

I was satisified, and put the thing aside.

I've taken it up again, I can still deal with my "hello world" file but if I take a real file from a client I get exactly the same behaviour.

I had originally been asked to use tag editor, a suggestion that I found ridiculous for an extremely expensive, "sophisticated" software package, that it can't deal with MSWord, but this didn't work either.

I've tried to recontact SDL without any response for the moment and I hope they'll be embarrassed if I start shouting about it here.

My impression is that the installation is completely bugged. I don't have broad-band so SDL support haven't been able to ferret around in my computer but I don't really think this should be necessary. The thing should install and run but it doesn't.

Phew, I bet you're all sorry you asked now !

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
errata Feb 18, 2010

sorry, "but it SEEMED"

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
further explanation Feb 18, 2010

it is ONLY on the most rudimentary file, as I described, that I would be able to ANYTHING, translate a couple of lines.....but if the file is a REAL file, you know, with formatting, page throws and stuff, then it crashes IMMEDIATELY, first keystroke, it won't even open a segment.....

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
erratum Feb 18, 2010

sorry, "to do ANYTHING"

Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I would try uninstalling it again and doing a clean install Feb 18, 2010

Hi Ian,

I assure you that this is not how it is suppsed to work. I did Word files every day with it for about 4 years.

In the circumstances, I would suggest uninstalling it completely again, using whatever program you have that clears up all the registry leftovers as well (that is really important!). Then try once more. Read the installation instructions first. If I remember correctly, with that version you are supposed to install Multiterm first.

However, I would really recommend you to forget the 2007 version and take up the use of Studio. It is much nicer to work with.

Just as an aside, you should be able to click a button and edit your existing posts, without having to write a new post to correct any typing errors.

Astrid

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Astrid Feb 18, 2010

Your advice seems sensible... shame I didn't get any such clear thinking from SDL.

It is true that I am not very disciplined when it comes to reading instructions ! I do feel that if something is critical, like multiterm must be installed first, then the installation suite shouldn't allow me to do otherwise.

Studio? I think I want to try to get some money's worth out of this thing before I start shelling out for new versions !!!!!!!!

IMPORTANT: I haven't had this sort of problem with a software before and I don't have any idea what I'd use to tidy up my registry, even though I do have an idea what this is - can you suggest what it might be that I'd use to do such "housekeeping"

And thanks for pointing out the edit button

Ian

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
PS Astrid Feb 18, 2010

I just noticed you've used my phrase "take up the use of".... this is quite clumsy English and I don't quite know why I said this... it is a sort of French translated into English.... "start using" is better

Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
For doing a clean uninstall Feb 19, 2010

Revo Uninstaller Pro version works well for me.

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
this is a third party thing is it? Feb 19, 2010

ok, I'll see about all that, tedious though....

many thanks for your help... and moral support !

Ian

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems in taking up use of Trados

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search