Thread poster: Burrell

Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:39
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Feb 18, 2010

Desperate cry for help! I am trying to clean a TE file. The original is a Word file with loads of formatting problems so I decided to use Tag Editor. When I tried cleaning the file first time, it said "Error writing brackets", second time it said the Track Changes are on (except that they were off, I checked it, however after Trados tried cleaning the file they were back on again!!). Third time Trados concluded that the file was a Word 97 version or older and it cannot do anything. The original file after this goes blank.

I tried resaving the Word document, renaming, copying and pasting the contents. Nothing... excepot that one pair of renamed files is stuck on the Track Changes error - I open the Word doc, switch off Track Changes, save and close the doc. Tren I try cleaning the txt document again and it tells me to switch off Track Changes and when I open the Word document again, Track Changes are on!!

I sent both files to a fellow translator who had exactly the same error messages in the same order.

Any ideas at all?

I am using Vista, Word 2003 and SDL Trados 2007 (385).

Ines

Direct link Reply with quote

jyconte
Local time: 16:39
Cannot clean file because of track changes Feb 18, 2010

Burrell wrote:

Desperate cry for help! I am trying to clean a TE file. The original is a Word file with loads of formatting problems so I decided to use Tag Editor. When I tried cleaning the file first time, it said "Error writing brackets", second time it said the Track Changes are on (except that they were off, I checked it, however after Trados tried cleaning the file they were back on again!!). Third time Trados concluded that the file was a Word 97 version or older and it cannot do anything. The original file after this goes blank.

I am using Vista, Word 2003 and SDL Trados 2007 (385).

Ines

Did you try to save the word file as rtf instead of doc?

Jean-Yves

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 19:39
Spanish
+ ...
One idea: rtf Feb 19, 2010

I've never seen this problem but here's what I think. You could create a new document, paste the contents of the first file and save it as rtf. Then use TE and Translate it (this will be done automatically) and then clean it.

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:39
English to Dutch
+ ...
Accept all changes - then switch off tracking Feb 19, 2010

You'll have to accept all changes, so they become an integral part of the document. THEN switch off the tracking. It's not possible to combine tracking of changes in Word with Trados.

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 01:39
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
hmmm strange that TE did import the file... Feb 19, 2010

Hello,

I doubt that a simple copy & paste of the file would do due to the fact that the formatting is hell (or heavily formatted).

It does happen to me from time to time that I am told that the track changes are still on, even if I had accepted all of them.

It does surprise me a bit that TE did import the file... my TE won't move any import finger and tell me immediately that it can't import the file.

However, perhaps silly question, but after having accepted (or better before accepting) again the already accepted changes (not sure you'll be able to save the ttx as target though, as any change in the original, triggers a "can't find the original file", which hasn't actually vaporised, but from a coding point of view has changed) di you close MSWord, TE and checked under task manager that no WINWORD.EXE instance was still running?

Normally, I close TE, close all MSWord instances, re-start MSWord. accept the changes and only then re-start TE.

The bracket error is related to something else... and having shown up first, I presume that you have opened the ogirinal file triggering the track-changes issue. (BTW, accept all changes, even formatting ones). Saving as rtf file isn't IMHO a viable solution, as the text is then imported with almost no tags in a huge text block with no overview...

Giuliana

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot for all suggestions! Feb 19, 2010

I will try playing around with them and see what happens. My client said I can ditch the formatting and deliver just plain text file, so that has to somehow expand my options. If I manage to get this sorted, I will let you know.

Ines

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Job done! Feb 19, 2010

But manually. I accepted the changes and the error code got stuck on this being Word 97 or earlier version. Then copied the original file into a new file, gave it another name and renamed the txt file accordingly and that pair got stuck on brackets error. The same error messages came up when I saved it as rtf file.

In the end I pasted plain text into a new document and manually opened each segment and inserted the translation this way since the txt file had tags which were now missing in the new Word document so only half of the text was instered after I pretranslated the file. All in all, I lost about a day on this.

Thanks for all the help!

Ines

101translations  Identity Verified
Ireland
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Solution found Jun 9, 2010

Hello,

maybe it's a bit late to post in this thread but I had the same problem.

Then I found the solution to it:

Apparently Word introduced a "spurious" Tracked Change when saving the file as a RTF, which is what Trados does every time it treats a DOC file.

My solution: Opened the file in Word, saved it as RTF. Closed. Then reopened the RTF in Word - and notice the tracked change! Accepted the change, and saved again on top of the original DOC file. Tada! It worked.

[Edited at 2010-06-09 11:27 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-06-09 11:28 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot clean the file because of track changes

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search