Gail Bond
Gail Bond  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:04
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Feb 19, 2010

I've been using Studio 2009 for a few months and am still learning. A few weeks ago I completed a small job for a client. Yesterday the client sent me a follow-on to the original job. When I opened it in Trados, and opened the TM I thought I had used originally, there were no matches. I've created quite a few TMs (probably too many) and although I thought I had named them sensibly, I'm not sure which TM I used for the original job.

Is there a way Trados can tell me which TM I used f
... See more
I've been using Studio 2009 for a few months and am still learning. A few weeks ago I completed a small job for a client. Yesterday the client sent me a follow-on to the original job. When I opened it in Trados, and opened the TM I thought I had used originally, there were no matches. I've created quite a few TMs (probably too many) and although I thought I had named them sensibly, I'm not sure which TM I used for the original job.

Is there a way Trados can tell me which TM I used for a job?

Thanks
Gail
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:04
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Last changed Feb 19, 2010

You could look at the date and time of your translation and compare these to the dates of last change of your tms. I don't know of any other way.
I usually use one tm for all jobs of a certain language combination, and other tms only if provided by the customer.

Regards
Heinrich

Andrei Vybornov
Andrei Vybornov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:04
English to Russian
+ ...
Probably a Project TM Feb 19, 2010

Gail, do you still have that original project in your Studio? If you do, open it again and place a cursor in one of the segments. If there is a CM or 100% match in the translation results window, look at the yellow strip below. It has the name of the TM from which the match comes. If the name of the TM does not look exactly the same as the TM you thought you used for this project, but rather has an underscore somewhere in the middle, then it’s a Project TM. You might have forgotten to update t... See more
Gail, do you still have that original project in your Studio? If you do, open it again and place a cursor in one of the segments. If there is a CM or 100% match in the translation results window, look at the yellow strip below. It has the name of the TM from which the match comes. If the name of the TM does not look exactly the same as the TM you thought you used for this project, but rather has an underscore somewhere in the middle, then it’s a Project TM. You might have forgotten to update the main TM after finishing the original project, this is why now you cannot find any matches in it.

Update the main memory from the original translated file, or export the Project TM (located in the project’s folder) and import it in the main TM.

Best regards,
Andrei
Collapse

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Another option Feb 19, 2010

Studio allows you to use many TMs at the same time - I don't know how many do you have but if that's let's say 10 or so - you could use them all at the same time and if anyone of them contains a match it should come up.

Best Regards
Stanislaw

Gail Bond
Gail Bond  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved! Feb 19, 2010

Andrei Vybornov wrote:

Gail, do you still have that original project in your Studio? If you do, open it again and place a cursor in one of the segments. If there is a CM or 100% match in the translation results window, look at the yellow strip below. It has the name of the TM from which the match comes.

Brilliant! Thank you, Andrei. It was so simple, but I hadn't spotted it.

I'm off to do some TM housekeeping now so it doesn't happen again

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I tell which TM I used?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »