https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/158497-german_french_specific_letters_umlauts_handled_incorrectly_on_russian_system_locale.html

German/French specific letters (umlauts) handled incorrectly on Russian system locale
Thread poster: Alex Krasnov
Alex Krasnov
Alex Krasnov
Local time: 21:57
Mandarin Chinese to Russian
+ ...
Feb 20, 2010

Hello all!

I met a problem while working with Trados 2007 SP3/Multiterm 2007 SP1 on a Windows XP SP3/Office 2003 SP3 system (system locale set to Russian, aka 'default language for non-Unicode programs').

When I open a segment in Word (using Translator's Workbench) which has a match in the TM used at the moment (I tried EN-US/DE-DE, EN-US/FR-FR TM's), the target text is copied to the input fields in an incorrect way, losing all of the specific Western European letters w
... See more
Hello all!

I met a problem while working with Trados 2007 SP3/Multiterm 2007 SP1 on a Windows XP SP3/Office 2003 SP3 system (system locale set to Russian, aka 'default language for non-Unicode programs').

When I open a segment in Word (using Translator's Workbench) which has a match in the TM used at the moment (I tried EN-US/DE-DE, EN-US/FR-FR TM's), the target text is copied to the input fields in an incorrect way, losing all of the specific Western European letters which were present in the TM unit. These symbols are substituted with Cyrillic letters.

At the same time, the TU is kept in the TM in the right order, all specific letters are there where they belong (checked via Maintenance, also can be seen in TWB's window).

If I create an identical TU (with target text written in German) in an EN-US/RU-RU TM, everything works just like it should, translations appear in Word correctly.

I guess that when creating a W. European language source/target TM, it doesn't become a Unicode-supportive one. While if source or target is Russian or Chinese for instance, the TM is created as Unicode.

Hence the question: can I force Unicode support when creating a new translation memory?

[Редактировалось 2010-02-20 10:32 GMT]
Collapse

Alex Krasnov
Alex Krasnov
Local time: 21:57
Mandarin Chinese to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just to add some details to make the bug evident Feb 27, 2010

The above shall really be treated as bug, for Trados 2007 fully supports Unicode.

Or doesn't it? If it is fully Unicode compliant, it shan't rely on 'default language for non-Unicode programs' setting.

But it does depend on this option...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

German/French specific letters (umlauts) handled incorrectly on Russian system locale

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »