Thread poster: Hugo Lopes

Hugo Lopes
Portugal
Local time: 18:28
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Feb 20, 2010

Hello

Is it possible to merge two translation memories and turn it into a single one? How do that?

If merging is not possible, is workbench at least capable of having two tm open simultaneously?

Thanks

Cedomir Pusica  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 19:28
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Yes. Feb 20, 2010

I am sure it can be done, although I never tried to do it. Check the options on Workbench, I believe you will easily find a way to do it.

Hugo Lopes
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I already did that Feb 20, 2010

I am looking for something more concrete...

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Two possibilities Feb 20, 2010

Hi Hugo,

No, you cannot simply merge two TMs. What you can do is: export the contents of each one, create a new TM, import the two exported files.

To have a second TM open for reference purposes only:

Click on "Options", "Translation Memory Options", "Concordance". Where it says "Reference (read-only) translation memory" and "Browse", choose your TM.

Astrid

Helen Matthews  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
+ ...
export one and import into other Feb 20, 2010

don't know if there's a simpler way, but why not just export one of the TMs, then open the other and import your exported memory, checking the 'merge' option?

Just an idea!

(Of course, it might be 'safer' to create a new TM and then, in turn, import both the separate TMs into it)..

Hope this helpsicon_smile.gif

Helen

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Yes Feb 20, 2010

Hugo Lopes wrote:

Hello

Is it possible to merge two translation memories and turn it into a single one? How do that?

If merging is not possible, is workbench at least capable of having two tm open simultaneously?

Thanks

You don't say what version of Workbench you are using but in the later versions, you can have one working TM and one reference TM open at the same time.

You can have, say, a working customer TM open and a larger sector TM (ie all your customers in one business area/language combination) open for reference. When you have finished your translation, you can export your customer TM to tmx (with the File\Export menu) and import it into your sector TM (File\Import). Obviously, it helps if you have made sure that any custom fields are the same in both TMs.

With Studio, you have more flexibility because you can have several TMs open at the same time and update none, some or all of them with each translation you complete in the Studio project concerned.

HTH

Giles

Hugo Lopes
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm using Workbench version 8 Feb 20, 2010

When you say "studio", are you refering to the latest version of Trados?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
SDL Trados Studio 2009 Feb 20, 2010

Hi,

Yes, Studio is the short form of SDL Trados Studio 2009, the latest version of the desktop translation tool. You need this version if you want to use more than one TM at the same time without merging them all together first.

Regards

Paul

Jose Ruivo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Merging 2 sdltm(s)? Feb 22, 2011

Hi Paul,

I'd like to merge 2 memories in Studio TM format.

I've opened one TM I created in Studio, and I'm trying to imported another one I upgraded to Studio - so they're both in sdltm format. How can I do this, please?

TIA,
José Ruivo

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
A couple or three ways at least Feb 22, 2011

Hi Jose,

There a few things you can do here.

Easiest is to export your legacy TM's to TMX and then just import them into your SDLTM rather than upgrade them all.

You can also use the Upgrade Wizard like this to merge existing SDLTM memories.

Tools - Upgrade Translation Memories

Then click on Add Filebased TM's...

Next you need to chenge the drop down to allow you to select sdltm translation memories:

Add your memories and click on next. In the next window change the output to be Create output translation memory for each language pair:

Now just click on Next.. Next.. etc.. Finish or stop to change any settings you want along the way. The result will be a new sdltm with the merged contents of the rest. Good idea to copy them all into one folder first so it's easy to find the merged one (I lost mine the first time I tried this)

Or, you could export the sdltm as TMX that you want to import and then import this.

Hope this helps?

Regards

Paul

Jose Ruivo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Wrong choice Feb 23, 2011

Hi Paul,

SDL Support wrote:
Add your memories and click on next. In the next window change the output to be Create output translation memory for each language pair:

Hope this helps?

Regards

Paul

I've been through most of these processes, but normally chose "Create output translation memory for each input translation memory", instead of Create output translation memory for each language pair.

This time it worked properly!

Thanks a lot!

José Ruivo

David Paul Samson
India
Local time: 22:58
English to Tamil
+ ...
Mergin Translatin memories Apr 18, 2011

[quote]Hugo Lopes wrote:

Hello

Thanks

[/yes Hugo, it is possible.

If you have two memories just keep the one you want to use on a different folder.

Then open the memory you want to merge with in the Trados work bench.

Export this TM, by selecting file>Export in the Trados Workbench.

That will prompt you to save a txt file, and just save the file in the folder where the TM which you want to keep is placed.

Then open the TM you want to keep in the Trados Work bench, and then import the exported txt, what you will get is the merged TM.

That's it,

Similarly you can export and import any number of files.

Again, if you have any problem with your TM data base, after hectic hard work of three to four years, simply export your memory and create a new one and import the exported txt file. You will get a fresh memory removing all the corrupted areas.

Thanks

David Paul Samson]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Merging translation memories

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search