SDL Trados 2009 Freel.Studio: Main interface window does not appear.
Thread poster: Zvyrtec

Zvyrtec
Poland
Local time: 19:47
Polish to English
+ ...
Feb 21, 2010

Hello all,

I've just encountered an unnerving problem with my Trados 2009. When I launch the application, its interface window does not appear. The splash with loading status for various components is displayed, then it disappears like it should, but only the Trados tab in the Windows taskbar is visible. Clicking it does not open the window. The Task Manager shows that the application is running fine, however.

I'm running on Windows 7 Professional x64. I haven't had ANY problems with Trados 2009 so far. I've tried to reinstall it, but no joy here - the problem persists. I did not mess with my system nor did I install new features, libraries or drivers that might be in conflict with the application. As much as it is weird, I have a project to finish tommorow afternoon, so prompt help and solutions are extremely welcome.

Cheers.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Open Regedit Feb 21, 2010

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Open the "Software" part.
Open SDL, then rightclick on Studio1, rename it to _Studio1. Repeat the same for SDL Trados Studio.
Try now - the apllication window should now be resetted.

Zvyrtec
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:/ Feb 21, 2010

I've just tried that - it didn't work.

I even reinstalled the entire SDL 2007 suite from scratch and nothing.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Why do you reinstall T2007, when T2009 is not working? Feb 21, 2010

But neveretheless - it looks like your Studio window has been permanently set out of your screen. Did you use dual monitor setup recently?
If you right click the Studio symbol on Windows task bar, can you select maximize then? Does it helpß
You can also try to revert your system to a date a week ago or so. But OTOH I must admit, that I really don't know the reason. Maybe indeed an update from Microsoft and/or Java interfered and reverting the system may help.

Zvyrtec
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well... Feb 21, 2010

Since T2009 needs T2007 to run, I tried to see if reinstalling all from scratch would do any good.

I don't use dual monitors and never have.
In Windows 7 right clicking the T2009 button in the taskbar brings up a pop-up, which allows to do several things: you can click the application's name to bring its window on-screen, pin it to the taskbar (works like a quicklaunch) or close the application (there are also some other items in the pop-up, like the list of recent databases used in T2009 or recent documents if the application in question is, say, MS Word). Other than that, you can't do much.

Unfortunately using System Restore did not help either. I've ran the event logs and there is nothing suspicious in them. I also checked the update history and no major updates were effected since yesterday (when T2009 was still usable) that would affect operability - the last critical updates were installed on Wednesday.

Looks like it's up to me now to beg for prolonged job deadlines and reinstall the entire system from scratch. :/

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sorry, out of ideas Feb 21, 2010

The only thing is, T2009 does NOT need T2007 to run. It needs T2007 for upgrading TMs or aligning files. However, AFAIK you can have T2009 as stand.alone-application.

Zvyrtec
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Right, Feb 21, 2010

Got it confused here, you're right. Thanks anyway.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2009 Freel.Studio: Main interface window does not appear.

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search