International Translation Day 2018

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event September 25-26th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

Error cleaning up file
Thread poster: brittak

brittak
Local time: 15:04
English to German
+ ...
Feb 21, 2010

Hello everybody.

I received a .ttx file from my client. The original file must have been a .xls file (but I was just given the .ttx file).

I created a project with the .ttx file using Synergy Trados 2007. Now when I want to save the target file, I keep getting the error

"Unable to locate original file. [...] Please copy this original file into directory above and try again."

Now what shall I do? I don't have the .xls file, as the customer only sent the .ttx file. For this reason, I cannot copy the Excel file into the indicated path. How can I convert it into an Excel file? And can anyone tell me how to find the logfile?

I browsed through many forums but couldn't find an answer to my questions.
Your help is highly appreciated. Thank you!

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:04
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You have to get the original file from the customer Feb 21, 2010

In fact no big chance to get the xls file out of the ttx without having the original xls.
And TBH I do not see the problem here - just ask the customer for the original file or deliver the ttx (which is most probably exactly what your customer is expecting you to do).

Eduardo García Soñanes
Mexico
Local time: 08:04
English to Spanish
For MS Office files, you need the original files. Feb 21, 2010

As opposed to other file formats, MS Office files are not fully wrapped in TagEditor. TagEditor only gets the text and tags for the whole structure. So when cleaning the files, the program looks for the original files to duplicate the structure in the target files.

Good luck
Eduardo García Soñanes

Do not bother Feb 22, 2010

If your customer does not ask for the clean file, translate the ttx and give him back !

I do not see the problem and if he ask the clean file, explain hilm that he should learn how to use tag editor before trying to sell translations!!

have you ever seen a plumber not able to know his tools?

Sorry I am very sarcastic here but this is true...

lol

[Edited at 2010-02-22 01:20 GMT]

yakky  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 21:04
English to Chinese
+ ...
contact with your client directly Feb 22, 2010

Ask if they only need your uncleaned file, or just forget to send you the orginal file. This is not a problem with trados.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error cleaning up file

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search