International Translation Day 2018

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event September 25-26th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

Problem with Word doc in Studio 2009 SP1
Thread poster: Caroline Lakey

Caroline Lakey  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:47
French to English
Feb 23, 2010

Hi,
I've come across an issue in Trados Studio 2009, with a Word document which my client has extracted from a PDF (so it's a messy document "behind the scenes" to begin with).
In Word, the doc appears fine, but having translated it in Trados and previewed it, all the pagination has been corrupted, and I end up with 24 pages instead of 10. Interestingly, the preview of the SOURCE Word document in Trados is also corrupted, which I find strange as it's fine in Word.
I'm pretty sure it's a tag problem, but I don't have any idea how I can rectify it. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
(For reference, I don't have any other versions of Trados.)
Many thanks in advance,
Caroline

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What do you mean by "corrupted"? Feb 23, 2010

It looks like your Word document is simply badly formatted, so that all too long texts cause the pagination to change.
You should reformat the document either prior to translation or - what is in that case most probably more feasible - after you've done the translation.
Check also for duplicated page/section breaks in your targed document.
As long the document does convert fine there should be no tag errors, or even if - just formatting tags. But documents converted from PDF are all tricky.

Eduardo García Soñanes
Mexico
Local time: 07:47
English to Spanish
Use the pdf directly in Studio 2009 Feb 23, 2010

Forget about the Word that your client sent and process the pdf directly in Studio 2009. That's a great new capability of Studio. I have translated about three or four pfds directly in Studio with no problem. When you generate the target file, you will get a translated Word document which you will have to fix by changing the font size, if needed, and removing a few column breaks, and a few other fixes.

If the client didn't send the pdf, tell him/her you need it.

Happy translating
Eduardo

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jerzy for your very rapid assistance Feb 23, 2010

Corrupted was perhaps the wrong word to use - I just mean that the pagination goes all wrong. I guess that the solution you suggest of just sorting it out in the translated document is the only way to resolve this - unfortunately, as it's full of horrible columns!
As you say, PDF extracts are invariably difficult to work with - every time I accept one I vow it's the last!

Thanks again for your assistance.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Columns and text boxes are what PDF converter love to use Feb 23, 2010

but I never understood why?
Would a human being format the document, no colu,ns and/or text boxes would have been necessary.
What you certainly can do: try to make the font smaller (make search and replace for the font size x (current) and replace with x-1). Change Arial to Arial Narrow or Times New Roman (same - search and replace for font name A and replace with font name B). You can of course combine both methods and replace both font and size. If you are lucky, this could help you to reduce the length of the text and bring you nearer to the original layout.
Don't forget also to check for duplicated section, page and column breaks.
If your source was Word 2007 and it contained column breaks, Studio will duplicate them when converting back to Word - this is a known bug, which shall be corrected next time AFAIK.

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Duplicated column breaks - that's exactly what's happened Feb 23, 2010

That's it, all the column breaks are duplicated. So the text looked very scarily messed up (especially with a number of different deadlines looming over the next 2 days) but in fact it's not too bad to sort out.
Brilliant Jerzy - thanks again!

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I beg to disagree here Feb 23, 2010

Eduardo García Soñanes wrote:

Forget about the Word that your client sent and process the pdf directly in Studio 2009. That's a great new capability of Studio. I have translated about three or four pfds directly in Studio with no problem. When you generate the target file, you will get a translated Word document which you will have to fix by changing the font size, if needed, and removing a few column breaks, and a few other fixes.

Happy translating
Eduardo

The PDF-converter in Studio is as any other converter and does not do a perfect job - in fact I would not expect ANY automated converter to do that. As with any other converter, you will either have to prepare the file or to make changes afterwards. Sometimes more, sometimes less. What you although can do ALLWAYS: let Studio convert the PDF. Then open the converted file for translation. Do NOT translate anything, but just use "save target as" to get the SOURCE document in Word format. Now you can open it, make necessary changes and reopen this WORD document for translation in Studio. This will save you many hours of thinking how to merge segments or translate unmergeable segments in a way which will not spoil your TM.

Eduardo García Soñanes
Mexico
Local time: 07:47
English to Spanish
I was lucky then Feb 23, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Eduardo García Soñanes wrote:

Happy translating
Eduardo

The PDF-converter in Studio is as any other converter and does not do a perfect job - in fact I would not expect ANY automated converter to do that. As with any other converter, you will either have to prepare the file or to make changes afterwards. Sometimes more, sometimes less. What you although can do ALLWAYS: let Studio convert the PDF. Then open the converted file for translation. Do NOT translate anything, but just use "save target as" to get the SOURCE document in Word format. Now you can open it, make necessary changes and reopen this WORD document for translation in Studio. This will save you many hours of thinking how to merge segments or translate unmergeable segments in a way which will not spoil your TM.

Jerzy,

I might have been lucky then, those times when I translated the PDFs directly in Studio.
One thing that I observed is that Studio does not put the text in text boxes, which is an annoyance in other converters. What it still does is duplicate columns. It took me a while to figure out what to do to make the target file look nice the first time until I noticed the duplicated columns. I found these converted files more easy to manipulate though.

Your suggestion about fixing the converted files before translation is a good idea so the TM does not get spoiled as you said.

Eduardo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with Word doc in Studio 2009 SP1

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search