Can I know the number of source and target words in my TM?
Thread poster: Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 13:05
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Feb 24, 2010

Hello experts,

I can ascertain the number of translation units by going to Workbench>File> Properties> Translation Units but is there any method to know the total number of words of source and target text in the memory?

Thanks and regards,

Chopra

[Edited at 2010-02-24 11:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-02-24 13:29 GMT]

yakky
yakky  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 15:35
English to Chinese
+ ...
Maybe no Feb 24, 2010

In my experience, there is no way to find it.
Perhaps you can export it as .txt file and delete uncessary information. But that will only get rough number.

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 10:35
English to Arabic
+ ...
NO Feb 24, 2010

As far as I know, there is NO plug & play way to do that. However, you can do that after certain manipulations/processing of TM.

[Edited at 2010-02-24 11:03 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:35
English
An interesting question though Feb 24, 2010

We discussed this a little for interest over lunch and this idea was tabled by Oli.

Export the TMX, change the extension to .xml and process it as an input file in Studio, using Analysis against an empty TM. That will report the word count as well, and even characters. You would need to make sure the XML filter is set up correctly for TMX processing, and make sure that the relevant attributes (not tags) are marked up to only produce the source, target, or both as you wish in the r
... See more
We discussed this a little for interest over lunch and this idea was tabled by Oli.

Export the TMX, change the extension to .xml and process it as an input file in Studio, using Analysis against an empty TM. That will report the word count as well, and even characters. You would need to make sure the XML filter is set up correctly for TMX processing, and make sure that the relevant attributes (not tags) are marked up to only produce the source, target, or both as you wish in the resultant file for analysis.

Just a thought in case someone technical on the forum wanted to give this a go? If we have time I might post back on this later.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
Local time: 09:35
French to Dutch
+ ...
Can be done Feb 24, 2010

by a WF user. The whole procedure (.tmx > .txt > Excel > copy the right column into Word) should take about 2 minutes.

[Modifié le 2010-02-24 20:55 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I know the number of source and target words in my TM?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »