Thread poster: Mara Campbell

Mara Campbell
Argentina
Local time: 09:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 25, 2010

Hi, everybody.
I recently translated a huge 300 page Word document for a client, a "student guidebook". Halfway into it, I regretted not doing it with Trados, but I was very far into it to go back.
The thing is now the same client sends me a big 150 page document on the same topic, the "professor guidebook". Naturally, there is lots of common terminology, segments, paragraphs, etc.

I was wondering if I can take the student guidebook, both the English and my Spanish translation in Word format, and somehow convert them into a TM I can use now, just like I would have if I had translated the first doc with Trados.
Maybe there is a software that compares both documents and creates the memory? Maybe there is a function in Trados to do that which I know nothing about?

Thanks for your helo and for reading!
Best regards,
Mara

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:44
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
WinAlign Feb 25, 2010

Dear Mara,

the process you're looking for is called "alignment". The relevant Trados application is called WinAlign. There's a separate manual for it (under "documentation").

Best regards,
Erik

Sara Carboni  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:44
French to Italian
+ ...
Winalign Feb 25, 2010

Dear Mara,

I posted a very similar question about one month ago.

Have a look at this:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/156145-creating_a_tm_from_word_files.html#1311616

It helped me a lot!

Sara

Mara Campbell
Argentina
Local time: 09:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Awesome! Feb 25, 2010

Thanks a ton, Erik!
I thought it would be much harder, but it seems super simple. I already watched the tutorial and am about to embark in the alignment.

Sara, I will view the link right away for more info.

Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Mara

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting Word docs (original+translation) into a Trados TM

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search