Thread poster: Mark Nathan

Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:42
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Feb 25, 2010

I would be grateful if anyone can help with this.
I have quite a large unclean file (16,000 words). There is a term that I had left untranslated, thinking that there was not an equivalent English term. However, I just discovered that there is!
I cannot use find and replace in Word because it will also replace the term in the source text.

Any ideas for avoiding replacing it manually (it must occur at least a hundred times).

Direct link Reply with quote

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Use formatting Feb 25, 2010

When you use search and replace in Word, you can specify the formatting of the text. You want to replace a word that is not hidden. After you specify the word to find and the word to replace with, in the "Find" field (or similar, I don't have an English copy of Word) press CTRL SHIFT H twice. You should see "not hidden" underneath. If you don't, go to More, Format, Font, and clear Hidden. Now you should be able to replace your term only in not hidden segments.

Good luck!

France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 25, 2010

Hi,

I have tried your suggestions, which sound good- but they do not seem to work on my document.

I guess I will just incorporate making the changes into the proofreading process.
I know I could clean the document and then use find and replace, but I have to deliver an unclean file.

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 13:42
Spanish
+ ...
Another way, also with formatting Feb 25, 2010

Workbench can change the colors of the fonts. You can specify one color for the source and one color for the target text. Then apply a Find/Replace to with the respective target color.

In Workbench, go to Options>Translated text colours.. and change Target (100% match) to a color that's not in the document. Then go to the beginning of the document, open the segment with Alt+Home and press Alt+*. Since the translation is already in the TM, it should automatically go to the end of the document changing the font color. Then proceed to use Find/Replace to automatically change the terms, don't forget to set the color of the target text.

Then Translate to Fuzzy again (Alt+*) and manually set the changed segments to check any context problem. Or if you want, you can just select Update TM in the Analyze window. When you clean the document the fonts will change back to the original color.

France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Claudia Feb 25, 2010

I will definitely try that tomorrow, I am off to bed now.

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Good morning... Feb 25, 2010

In Translator Workbench, open your TM, go to File/Maintenance, click on Find and Replace, then More, and in the Segments section in the Target line fill in the „Find what" and „Replace with” boxes, leaving empty these boxes in the Source line. Click OK, then you are back at TM Maintenance window. Click on „Begin search” and „Change” and ”All translation units”.

Check that the TM has really changed. If so, clean up your translated file, after checking the „Update document” radio button.
Hope this works.

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Another method Feb 26, 2010

Open the document in Word. If both source and target language segments can be seen, make the former invisible by clicking on the "End of paragraph" (carriage return) symbol in the toolbar, then only target segments will be seen and change during "Find and Replace".
After „replacing all” do not forget to save the document and, when cleaning up, to check the „Update TM” radio button.
Hope this works.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
That's the ticket Feb 26, 2010

The last suggestion, just disabling the display of hidden text before commencing the search, is definitely the easiest and most efficient method here. I use it all the time myself.

However, I would advise against using "Replace All" unless you are very certain there are no spelling variants or other pitfalls. It's much safer to review the search results and manually clicking "Replace" for each hit that requires changing.

France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone Feb 26, 2010

I have resolved this now.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing unclean files

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search