How can I insert source & target Word docs to a new TM?
Thread poster: Vitals

Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 23:14
Member (2008)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Feb 26, 2010

Dear all,

I do not know if it is possible, but I might as well ask you about it anyway.

I have 2 Word documents, a source and a target - a report translated last year. This year the report is almost the same and it would be much easier to do it in Trados, but I do not have a TM for that.

Would it be possible to create a TM out of those two Word files? How can I do that?

With my knowledge about it , the only thing I can imagine is ... opening the old source with Trados, and copying sentence by sentence into it from the translated target ... and it will then automatically create a TM. But it hurts even to think about such an endless copy-paste process for this longest report.

I will appreciate your recommendations and advice.

Best regards,
Vitalijus

Direct link Reply with quote

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:14
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Forum post from yesterday Feb 26, 2010

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/158966-converting_word_docs_original+translation_into_a_trados_tm.html

Minoru Kuwahara
Japan
Local time: 06:14
English to Japanese
+ ...
You can use WinAlign Feb 26, 2010

Hi ,

You can create a set of translation units using WinAlign which usually accompanies your SDL Trados suite. It may require you literally "to align" collation manually between the source and the target sentences, however, if the source sentences (or should I say, translated segments Trados can recognize) correspond to the target counterparts almost identically, you have little to change directly on the project WinAlign creates. Go ahead!

Minoru Kuwahara
mullberyvalley

[Edited at 2010-02-26 16:21 GMT]

Véronique Maes
Local time: 07:14
English to French
+ ...
I agree with Minoru Feb 27, 2010

The best way to go about this is to align (using WinAlign) your source and target documents and import the alignment in a TM, either an existing one or a new one (that you create). (See WinAlign User Guide). Then, you apply your TM to the new version of the report (in Workbench - tools - translate).

Good luck.

Veronique
A La Carte Translation
Brisbane

Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 23:14
Member (2008)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 27, 2010

I would like to thank everyone in this forum for responding with helpful advice.

I will most definitely try this and am sure it will work fine.

Best regards,
VitalijuS

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I insert source & target Word docs to a new TM?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search