Trados froze after I pressed "Translate to Fuzzy" by mistake
Thread poster: Mariana Campos

Mariana Campos  Identity Verified

Local time: 05:37
English to Portuguese
Feb 26, 2010

Hi all,

I am having a problem with Trados (my version is 2007, my Windows is XP, my Word is 2003).

I was translating normally when I pressed the button "Translate to Fuzzy" by mistake, instead of the "Set/Close Next Open/Get".

Everything froze and I could not close the segment anymore. I tried all of the Close buttons - Close; Set/Close; Set/Close Next Open/Get.

When I tried to close everything and close Word, to start it from fresh, I got the message "Run-time error '5': Invalid procedure call or argument" (I am attaching a screenshot).

I pressed "End" and Word was closed.

I opened the document again and the segment was still open and, again, would not close.

I tried restarting the computer, but when I opened the document again, the same situation was there.

I then decided to split the document into two and leave what I had already translated in this "problematic" file and copy and paste the rest on another Word document - and put everything together at the end, when I finished translating. But there are many references to footnotes in the text and now that I splitted the text, they are starting from 1 again in the second half of the text (the part I copied and pasted), which is not correct (I wonder how I could change that using that "fn" in Trados to define the references to footnotes).

It is quite a big text (22,000) and I wonder if when I pressed "Translate to Fuzzy" it was going through the whole text (which would take a while) and then I tried to close the segment and it caused the programme to be overloaded. I am saying this because I have tried finding a forum about this and I read people saying that "Translate to Fuzzy" can take a while.

I wonder if anyone has had this problem or knows anything that could help me.

Thank you very much in advance.

Mariana

Direct link Reply with quote

PCovs
Denmark
Local time: 06:37
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Fix document Feb 26, 2010

Hi,

If you should end up in a similar situation, where Translate to fuzzy goes on unintentionally, you should simply click somewhere in the Workbench window to make it stop, before you do anything else. Then wait for it to stop.

If you end up with an open segment, you cannot close in any way, try to open the Trados tab in the tool bar, and go to bottom where it says Fix diocument. Click this one. This should take care of the open segment.

Hope this could fix things for you.

Mariana Campos  Identity Verified

Local time: 05:37
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
It has worked! Feb 26, 2010

Hi!

Thank you so much for your reply!

Unfortunately, the Trados tab in the tool bar would not open either, but I could do what you said by using the keyboard shortcut for 'Fix document', which is Ctrl+Alt+U.

It has fixed the problem!

Thanks again!

chris collister  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:37
Member (2007)
French to English
Trados issues Feb 27, 2010

Trados' ability to recover from errors is truly appalling. I have often spent longer recovering from errors than the time saved using this ghastly software in the first place. When all else fails, "clear formatting" on the offending line usually works, but then you have to fiddle with it to get it back into shape. For such an expensive piece of software, it's very much a case of "could do better".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados froze after I pressed "Translate to Fuzzy" by mistake

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search