At least one tag is missing in the target segment.
Thread poster: Markus Hoedl

Markus Hoedl  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:38
English to German
+ ...
Feb 27, 2010

Would you like to continue?

An error message in Trados Tag Editor, very often discussed in this forum. I read through all the postings, but I'm still with my problemicon_frown.gif
In Tag Editor's Help there is (of course) no help, either and so in the support forum of Trados' web site.

First of all, I'm NOT very experienced with Tag Editor, so please be patient with me...icon_smile.gif

I cannot insert tags via "Edit" since this is greyed. The only possibility I have is: "Get current placeable" which inserts the same opening tag, but I suppose I need a CLOSING tag! Where can I get it from?

I type an example where I get this error message:

[TU][cf bold="on" size="10" complexscriptsbold="on" fontcolour="0x0"]Disclaimer[98]Haftungsausschluss[TU][TU][/cf][cf size="10" fontcolour="0x0"]When printed this document is NOT controlled....

The very first is an opening tag, the first after "Haftungsausschluss" is a closing tag, the second one is an opening tag. I get this error message in almost ALL terms in the document! I suppose the correct order should be:

[cf bold="on" size="10" complexscriptsbold="on" fontcolour="0x0"][TU]Disclaimer[98]Haftungsausschluss[TU][/cf]

Since when it looks like this, I don't get error messages.

I can double-click the opening tag, copy it and paste it before "Haftungsausschluss", then I don't get the error message. But then I would need one more closing tag after "Disclaimer", no?

I'm desperate since it is a huge document, consisting of several files.

My version of Trados is 2006, Tag Editor 7.5.0. OS is Windows XP.

THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE!!!

Markus

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Maybe you simply use "Get NEXT placeable"? Feb 27, 2010

Indeed if you press "Get CURRENT placeable" again and again, it will insert the CURRENT one, which obviously is still the same.

The concept of inserting placeables does in Tageditor not differ from those in Word and is identical for terminology. For each terminolgy and placeables you have three corresponding buttons (red for terminology and blue for placeables). Of course there are also corresponding keyboard shortcuts for that, but we will not speak about 'em at the moment, you can get them shown via the Workbench menu.

When you start placing tags (terminology), the first tag is underlined (terminology has red lines above) in bold blue, all other in thin blue. Pressing insert current placeable places ALWAYS the tag, which is currently underlined in blue and does NOT switch to the next tag. So you insert the first tag where needed. Then you place the cursor where the next tag should be placed and use "Get NEXT placeable" here. This inserts the NEXT placeable and moves the focus to it, so after the insertion this one becomes the CURRENT, the one you inserted before (ie that, which was CURRENT at the beginning) is now PREVIOUS. And so on and so on. It is really very easy.

Spain
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is not possible... Feb 27, 2010

As I wrote, the only possibility I have is "Get current placeable", all the others are greyed, tooicon_frown.gif

And when I place my cursor in the yellow field (translated text), after the translation there comes the tag "[TU end]"; I guess this is the reason why "Get previous placeable" as well as "Get next placeable" are greyed - simply because there IS NONE (see my example)...

Thank you very much for your help, it sounds easy indeed, but it isn't if a program doesn't work as it should...icon_frown.gif

Markus

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I do not have the source ... Feb 27, 2010

to see what should be in target.
However, as you work in Tageditor there is not necessarily so, that you MUST have the closing tag in the same segment.
If some of "get placeable" buttons are greyed out, then there are no tags to be placed beside the current one.
But you may want to use the function "Copy source on no match" - you can either do that by pressin ALT+INS or make a corresponding setting in the Workbench options.
Without seeing the file I can't tell you more, sorry.

Spain
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
May I send you a small file to document it? Feb 27, 2010

Would be great if you could help me this way - I won't tell any secrets by this fileicon_wink.gif

Thanks again!

Markus

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Please send the original and the ttx Feb 27, 2010

and - if applicable the corrsponding ini-file.
My email is jerzy at czopik dot com

Best
Jerzy

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:38
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Copy source to target Feb 28, 2010

If something is missing you better copy the whole source segment to target with Alt+Ins and write your translation between the tags. You can also remove one tag and put it somewhere else.
The shortcuts for inserting tags are alt+down for tag last use and alt+right arrow for next tag. Same commands as in Wordfast Classic.

Regards
Heinrich

Spain
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to @ll !! Problem resolved :-) Feb 28, 2010

Especially to Jerzy! I sent him one of the files in question and within a couple of minutes, he solved my problem, also by sending a screen shot: I just had to put the cursor where a tag was missing, click an "Get current placeable" - and that's it!

A second possibility I discovered myself - but which is a little bit more complicated - could be: highlight the tag you need via double click, copy it via "Ctrl+C" or context menu "Copy", then put the cursor at the position where you need the tag and insert it by "Ctrl+V" or context menu "Paste".

Very often the simplest solution are those you don't find...icon_frown.gif

Have a nice day,
Markus

Melissa Ying
China
Local time: 02:38
Chinese to English
+ ...
Really it worked! Mar 22, 2010

I had the same problem when i used the tageditor. So I searched Proz to see if anyone has come across the same situation. Then i found this and tried to follow the steps. It worked! Simple and Effective! Thank you all!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
This is the basics Mar 22, 2010

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
If something is missing you better copy the whole source segment to target with Alt+Ins and write your translation between the tags. You can also remove one tag and put it somewhere else.

This is the simple approach that always works! Copy source and retranslate.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
It always works, but then you lose your fuzzy match Mar 22, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

If you have a fuzzy match that you don´t want to lose, you can sometimes copy the text between tags to the clipboard before pressing Alt+Ins, and then insert it again instead of the appropriate section of source text.

The same applies to a laboriously typed new translation of course.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Indeed Mar 22, 2010

Christine Andersen wrote:
Heinrich Pesch wrote:

If you have a fuzzy match that you don´t want to lose, you can sometimes copy the text between tags to the clipboard before pressing Alt+Ins, and then insert it again instead of the appropriate section of source text.

Of course. The more typing you can save, the better. But without losing the picture: the goal is to have the translation finished in the shortest time possible. If copying/pasting things takes longer than retranslating, then...icon_smile.gif

Erika Lichtenbergova, DPSI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2010)
English to Czech
+ ...
THIS IS THE SOLUTION Jul 11, 2010

Christine Andersen wrote:
Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Of course. The more typing you can save, the better. But without losing the picture: the goal is to have the translation finished in the shortest time possible. If copying/pasting things takes longer than retranslating, then...icon_smile.gif

Erika Lichtenbergova, DPSI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2010)
English to Czech
+ ...
THIS IS THE SOLUTION Jul 11, 2010

There is a tool in Tag Editor for inserting missing tags.
EDIT - Insert Tag
Tag protection must be turned off to make this function active.
Good luck!
(PS. I have the Freelance version, so I reckong this is a very basic function available in all versions of the Tag Editor)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

At least one tag is missing in the target segment.

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search