Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
SDL MultiTerm 8.1.1264.0 (SP2) probem - cannot add or edit terms from inside Studio SP2
Thread poster: Pavel Tsvetkov

Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 02:38
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Mar 4, 2010

I installed Studio and Multiterm SP2 yestrerday (one of the first to do so), hoping that the stability issues, and especially those with Multiterm, will be resolved. I was in the middle of a translation project, so I hoped, among other things, that de-installing the old versions, and the installation of the new ones will not destroy my work in progress.

The good news is that my project stayed intact, work in progress seemed unaffected (in a negative way) by the update.

The bad news: I can no longer edit or add terms from inside Studio - the termbase window opens, but its right side (where the editing/adding takes place) is blank, and therefore no user interaction is possible. Even pressing save or cancel will not fix the problem, and Studio crashes immediately, or on a second try to add terms.

Then 2 error messages are shown one after the other:

1. Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
2. Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

As you can see, both messages are as obscure and meaningless to the user, as most other Trados error message unfortunately are.

I hope someone can provide good advice regarding the situation at hand, as not being able to add or edit term entries from inside Studio slows down work to a crawl.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:38
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Java settings? Mar 4, 2010

Did you restart the PC after installation of Studio?
Which Java do you have? is "Next generation plug-in" activated?

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Current Java Settings Mar 4, 2010

Dear Jerzy,

thank you for your time.

Here are the answers to your questions:

Platform Product Location Path Enabled
1.6 1.6.0 17 http://java.s... C:\Program Files\Java... Yes
1.6 1.6.0 14 http://java.s... C:\Program Files\Java... Yes
1.5 1.5.0_12 http://java.s... C:\Program Files\Java... Yes
1.5 1.5.0 10 http://java.s... C:\Program Files\Java... Yes

2. Enable the next-generation Java Plug-in (reguires browser restart) = Yes

Should any of those be changed?

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Yes, disable next generation Mar 4, 2010

That should be it.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Disable next generation plug-in Mar 4, 2010

Save this setting, then disable automatic Java updates and save this setting too.
Restart Studio - now it should work.

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Yes, that was part of the problem, alas, not the whole problem Mar 5, 2010

I deinstalled all Java versions after 1.6.0_14, disabled the next generation plug-in, reinstalled both Studio and Multiterm, and restarted the computer several times in the process...

This (kind of) fixed the problem.

Each time Studio is started and I try to add/edit a new term, Multiterm is incapable of doing it, I save/cancel the adding/editing and exit, however if I try to add/edit a second time, Studio crashes.

Now, if I start Studio again, chances are that Multiterm will be working correctly.

It is very annoying, because I cannot find an automatic save function setting in Studio, and every time it crashes, I lose some work.

[Edited at 2010-03-05 01:23 GMT]

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
No, prombelm not solved Mar 5, 2010

Unfortunately, with every Windows restart the problem re-appears, and will not go away until Studio had crashed 3-4 times, which is 3-4 times too many for me.

Currently I have only Java v1.6.0_14, 1.5.0_12 and 1.5.0 10 installed and enabled, next generation plug-in is disabled, and updates are also disabled.

Suggestions are welcome.

Pascal Zotto  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2009)
Dutch to Letzeburgesch
+ ...
did you already try this one? Mar 5, 2010

Hi,

depending on your settings and your operating system this could help:

http://talisma.sdl.com/display/2n/index.aspx?c=&cpc=&cid=&cat=&catURL=&r=0.325982213020325

on the left click on SDL Trados 2009 > SDL Trados Studio > Editor View and chose article 2677

[Bearbeitet am 2010-03-05 10:43 GMT]

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Problem link Mar 5, 2010

Dear Pascal,

Thank you for your proposal. I have the same problem (as explained in the article) with the exception that I am using XP SP3 and not Vista.

So, I am afraid their solution will not work in my case.

Thank you,

[Edited at 2010-03-05 10:54 GMT]

Austria
Member (2009)
Dutch to Letzeburgesch
+ ...
same problem Mar 5, 2010

Dear Pavel,

I had the same problem with TRADOS 2009 SP1 on my home PC (also with XP and SP3) which I also posted here a few weeks ago and got no answer...

I couldn't solve it yet... maybe it has to do with the project?

What I realized: at work there is no problem (exactly the same setting for the PC than at home) but at work the project was initially set up and at home I used project packages (with TM and Multiterm included) created in the evening to continue working at home. Even setting up a new Multiterm Database for the home PC was no use. (By the way the original Multiterm DB was on an USB stick as well as the TM so that I could easily use it whereever I needed it.)

Could it be that you also use a project package and not the original project?

So what I did was continue translating at home without adding terms and at work I then lost about 1 hour in the morning to add the terms from the evening...

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Not a package in my case Mar 5, 2010

Dear Pascal,

Thank you for your time.

I am not using a package for this job. All I can say is that the project was prepared in SP1 (and I started translating it there), and then I continued translating after I upgraded to SP2.

But I must also say that the problem had also manifested iteself under SP1, so it is not anything new. It did get worse after upgrading thoough.

Multiterm has always had problems with Java, and SDL have not been able to decisively deal with those in the last 3 years (since I have bought Trados for the firs time). All new versions have been plagued by various Java problems in said period of time.

By the way, you can still add terms to the termbase, if you open Multiterm seperately, and copy-paste new term entries in the TB of your choice. It is, of course, time consuming.

Regards,

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Mar 9, 2010

SDL were so kind as to contact me and help me solve the problem (thank you, Paul!).

On Windows XP SP3 do the following:

1. Go to START > Settings > Control panel > Java
2. When tha Java window pops up, click on Java > View
3. For Java version 1.6.0_14, under the Runtime parameters header enter the following:

-Xmx700

or

-Xmx2100

[or any other combination of -Xmx followed by a number, of which the following is true:]

the number at the end must be bigger than 50% of the RAM (in megabytes) physically present on your machine (therefore the first example is good for people with computers having 1 GB of RAM, and the second - for people with computers having 4 GB of RAM, as happens to be my case).

4. Press OK, press Apply
5. Enjoy

Additional Notes: You can allow Java to update itself, as long as you manually disable next generation plug-in after each update!

More information (as per SDL's direction) can be found at:

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2759&p=1

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2529&p=1

I hope this helps!

[Edited at 2010-03-09 14:12 GMT]

Austria
Member (2009)
Dutch to Letzeburgesch
+ ...
Thanks Mar 9, 2010

for the advice. Will try this later when I'm at home again.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Still the same Mar 10, 2010

Hello everyone,
I had already known about the Java RAM settings and had adjusted everything. However, the problem still persists. Relevant settings:
- WinXP SP3
- 2 GB RAM
- Studio SP2
- Java: everything up to 1.6.0_14, all set to -Xmx1280; NextGen plugin disabled.
- Browsers: Explorer 7, Firefox 3.6 (default browser).

Anything else I can do to make the MultiTerm interface work in Studio? Thank you for any suggestions.

Austria
Member (2009)
Dutch to Letzeburgesch
+ ...
didn't work for me too Mar 11, 2010

disabling next generation made things even worse in terms of starting speed of trados

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL MultiTerm 8.1.1264.0 (SP2) probem - cannot add or edit terms from inside Studio SP2

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search