Trados 2007 - converts source text to bold on segmentation
Thread poster: Kelly O'Connor

Kelly O'Connor  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:12
Italian to English
Mar 10, 2010

I am using Word 2007 and Trados 2007. I am working on a very straightforward word document of about 20000 words. At about the 15000 word point, I had just translated, set and closed a line of bold text. I opened the next line of plain text when Trados converted it to bold. I had to close the line, restore the source text back to plain and reopen the line again to translate it. After this, I set and closed the line and got and opened the next line but this too automatically converts to bold...

Any ideas on why this is happening and what I can do to solve it?

[Edited at 2010-03-10 18:54 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Rob Albon  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:12
Japanese to English
+ ...
How to remove annoying bolding Oct 6, 2010

Kelly O'Connor wrote:

I am using Word 2007 and Trados 2007. I am working on a very straightforward word document of about 20000 words. At about the 15000 word point, I had just translated, set and closed a line of bold text. I opened the next line of plain text when Trados converted it to bold. I had to close the line, restore the source text back to plain and reopen the line again to translate it. After this, I set and closed the line and got and opened the next line but this too automatically converts to bold...

Any ideas on why this is happening and what I can do to solve it?

[Edited at 2010-03-10 18:54 GMT]

Open a new word document, then copy all the text from the original, and paste it into the new word document as "special", "text only".
The bolding is somehow in the text at some very fundamental level in the first document. If you go in and remove all formatting, the text will still be bold. It is a huge pain.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 12:12
French to German
+ ...
This is a well-known old problem Oct 6, 2010

linked to improper direct character formatting that has been applied by the author in the Word document.

These spontaneous changes of fonts are one of the main reasons why I stopped using Word as a translation editor about 3 years ago.

I suggest that you use Studio 2009 or Tag Editor to do the job and you will never encounter this kind of problem anymore.

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2007 - converts source text to bold on segmentation

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search