Jose Ruivo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:05
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 10, 2010

Hi All,

Does anyone have experience of using Studio to translated packages exported from Idiom, please?

I'd be very interested in hearing about this, as I have a regular client whose all projects come from Idiom WS, and I wish I could use somthing better that Idiom workbench to translate those...

Thanks,
Jose Ruivo

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:05
English
Using Studio with SDL WorldServer Packages Mar 11, 2010

Hi Jose,

The release of SDL Trados studio SP2 provides a good solution for handling packages that were created by SDL WorldServer 9.2. You can open the package, complete your translation in Studio and create a return package in the same way you would do this with Studio Packages. You can also open WS XLIFF bilingual documents and work on them as single files, although the package solution will be better.

If you get any problems when you try this we would be happy to help.

Regards

Paul

Jose Ruivo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:05
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Direct upload to WS? Mar 11, 2010

SDL Support wrote:

You can open the package, complete your translation in Studio and create a return package in the same way you would do this with Studio Packages.

Hi Paul,

My client normally asks me to upload the resulting files to WS, rather thann sending the project manager a package, which he/she would then insert in WS. Would SP2 allow me to do that?
(Alternativelly, I might open the translated package in WS desktop, and upload from there...)

Thank you for the clarification and offer to help! I'll definitelly try this process, and let you know my results very soon.

Regards,
Jose Ruivo

United Kingdom
English
Uploading to SDL WorldServer Mar 11, 2010

Hi Jose,

In the WorldServer desktop client you mention, we do have an auto-upload feature. However, since this feature is not yet part of Studio, the recommended process is to create a return package. The WorldServer plug-in will ensure the package is in the right format and it can then be imported by logging directly into WorldServer and following the normal translation kit import process for the project.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2010-03-11 14:38 GMT]

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
WorldServer 9.2??? Sep 15, 2010

I can only ever find WorldServer 9.0.1.60, and that's even on the SDL website.
And the packages created there do not seem to be compatible in any way with Studio.

Am I missing something here?

United Kingdom
English
Workbench, not server Sep 15, 2010

Hi PCovs,

The 9.0.1.60 you refer to is Desktop Workbench and not WorldServer. It sounds as though you are infering that the WorldServer instance you are getting Studio Kits from is not configured to create them, or is an older version.

Can you confirm what version of WorldServer is being used? If you want to take this offline and get some help with your Customer I'm happy to help.

Regards

Paul

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
I see Sep 15, 2010

The online WorldServer is indeed version 9.2

I can see that there are different download options on my client's website - including download as ttx for TE, but the client thinks that translating in TE instead of Idiom might cause problems for the end client later on.

Is this a fact, or can I download the ttx file, translate, and upload again with the client getting the exact format he wants (as if I used Idiom) and without any differences at all to the target text?

Can the client actually tell which of the different CAT tool options each translator choses, or will the uploaded, translated files all be in the exact same format upon delivery?

United Kingdom
English
Which CAT? Sep 15, 2010

Hi PCovs,

You can use Desktop Workbench, TagEditor or Studio and all should produce reliable results without leaving a trail of evidence;-) You can probably use any CAT that can handle TTX but I'll only vouch for these ones..!

Regards

Paul

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Thanks. Can I connect to WorldServer to use the TM? Sep 16, 2010

One of my clients has a huge TM, which is impossible to download, but it would be highly preferential to make use of this TM, obviously.

Is there any way I can open the translation either in TE or Studio and then connect to the TM on the WorldServer?

United Kingdom
English
Connecting to WS TM directly Sep 16, 2010

PCovs asked:
Is there any way I can open the translation either in TE or Studio and then connect to the TM on the WorldServer?

No. WorldServer provides Project TM's for offline work but there is no capability for non WorldServer tools to work online with the master Translation Memory.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio and Idiom together?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search