Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
TBX file with Trados
Thread poster: Luca Ruella

Luca Ruella  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 12, 2010

I have a "glossary.tbx" file that needs to be translated.

I've tried to import it with Multiterm but the wizard asks me a XML file, which I do not have.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Luca


 

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:46
English
Use MultiTerm Convert Mar 12, 2010

Hi Luca,

You need to convert the tbx to MultiTerm xml first using MultiTerm Convert. Then you will be able to use it.

Regards

Paul


 

Luca Ruella  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 12, 2010

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Luca,

You need to convert the tbx to MultiTerm xml first using MultiTerm Convert. Then you will be able to use it.

Regards

Paul


Hi,

thanks for your answer. however, if I select termbase exchange as source format in the third screen, convert asks me for an xml file, and I only have a tbx file. how do I convert it?


 

Luca Ruella  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TBX Mar 13, 2010

Nobody know how to solve this?

 

llgtrad
Local time: 01:46
English to French
+ ...
Try to change the file extension into .xml before converting Mar 14, 2010

You may also want to have a look at this link:

http://mac.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/149740-multiterm_2009_and_tbx_import.html

Good luck!

[Modifié le 2010-03-14 00:35 GMT]


 

PCovs
Denmark
Local time: 01:46
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Irrelevant posting deleted Mar 14, 2010



[Edited at 2010-03-14 08:45 GMT]


 

PCovs
Denmark
Local time: 01:46
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Sorry - I think I misunderstood Mar 14, 2010

Yes, change the extension before converting, and that should take care of things.

 

Luca Ruella  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did it Mar 14, 2010

PCovs wrote:

Yes, change the extension before converting, and that should take care of things.


I have already tried that but I receive an error telling me that the XML is badly formatted.


 

FarkasAndras
Local time: 01:46
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Try to think straight... Mar 14, 2010

Luca Ruella wrote:

I have a "glossary.tbx" file that needs to be translated.


Excuse me? It would be nice if people who ask for help managed to formulate their questions in a way that makes some kind of sense.

Anyway, just changing the extension to XML obviously won't work, becuase TBX, while very similar to the MT's own XML format, is not quite the same as MT XML.

You don't give your Multiterm version... I think TBX import was introduced in MT 2009. If your version of Multiterm Convert offers no TBX import, you'll have to either ask someone who has MT 2009 to import it and export into MT XML, or use a different tool to convert your TBX to tab separated format. Xbench or a trial version of Wordfast could possibly do the trick.

But you seem to have MT 2009 because you say it offers you the choice of TBX (TermBase eXchange) on the third screen. If so, take a closer look at the menus. I'm sure it asks for a TBX, not an XML file as input (if it asks for xml, you chose the wrong radio button). If it mentions XML after you chose TBX, I'm sure it's just asks you to specify a location for the XML file that will be generated.

[Edited at 2010-03-14 13:10 GMT]


 

Luca Ruella  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
XML Mar 14, 2010


Excuse me? It would be nice if people who ask for help managed to formulate their questions in a way that makes some kind of sense.


I have a TBX file and this file needs to be translated. What part you do not understand?


But you seem to have MT 2009 because you say it offers you the choice of TBX (TermBase eXchange) on the third screen. If so, take a closer look at the menus. I'm sure it asks for a TBX, not an XML file as input (if it asks for xml, you chose the wrong radio button). If it mentions XML after you chose TBX, I'm sure it's just asks you to specify a location for the XML file that will be generated.


Nope. I have chosen the right radio button. In fact in the next screen Multiterm says "Please choose TBX file (*.xml)" and if I expand the file selection drop down menu, *.XML is the only possible selection that I am allowed to make.


 

PCovs
Denmark
Local time: 01:46
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
And then you can't see your file? Mar 14, 2010

I have just gone through the steps and see what you mean, but as I don't have a .tbx file to test it on, I must just assume that you cannot see your .tbx file when browsing for it using MultiTerm Convert?

 

Luca Ruella  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Exactly! Mar 14, 2010

PCovs wrote:

I have just gone through the steps and see what you mean, but as I don't have a .tbx file to test it on, I must just assume that you cannot see your .tbx file when browsing for it using MultiTerm Convert?


Exactly!


 

PCovs
Denmark
Local time: 01:46
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
And now a silly question: Mar 14, 2010

You are sure you have browsed to the correct folder where you have saved your .tbx file, so you know it should be there?

I am very sorry if this is too silly, but I am really not getting why it will not find your file.


 

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
After changing the extension and picking TBX as file format, you get the error message? Mar 14, 2010

Luca Ruella wrote:
Nope. I have chosen the right radio button. In fact in the next screen Multiterm says "Please choose TBX file (*.xml)" and if I expand the file selection drop down menu, *.XML is the only possible selection that I am allowed to make.


Just to make sure I understand because I am not sure what steps are you following exactly.

If you change the extension from TBX to XML and then you go through the converter and pick "TBX" as file format, then you see the file but you get an error message saying that the XML is badly formatted. Is this correct?

Daniel


 

Luca Ruella  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
XML Mar 14, 2010

PCovs wrote:

You are sure you have browsed to the correct folder where you have saved your .tbx file, so you know it should be there?

I am very sorry if this is too silly, but I am really not getting why it will not find your file.


Yes I have tried that. It wont find my file because the only extension I can select (and therefore that can be displayed) is XML and my file is TBX.


 
Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TBX file with Trados

Advanced search







Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search