ChainerHost problem - cannot work on or install any SDL components
Thread poster: Witold Chocholski

Witold Chocholski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:53
English to Polish
+ ...
Mar 13, 2010

Trados Studio 2009 SP1. 32-bit Vista Home Premium. Polish version, so I don't quote the error messages here.

Initially the problem looked simple and usual - sudenly Trados Studio stopped working and shut down. Such things happen ever since with it now and then. However, this time I had the same message right after a roboot, even though I didn't touch any SDL components.

I couldn't open Multiterm or Studio and I could open TagEditior, but I wasn't able to save anything
... See more
Trados Studio 2009 SP1. 32-bit Vista Home Premium. Polish version, so I don't quote the error messages here.

Initially the problem looked simple and usual - sudenly Trados Studio stopped working and shut down. Such things happen ever since with it now and then. However, this time I had the same message right after a roboot, even though I didn't touch any SDL components.

I couldn't open Multiterm or Studio and I could open TagEditior, but I wasn't able to save anything in it.

My decision was simple - let's install SP2 and everything will be fine. But it wasn't at all. I wasn't able to install SP2 because I got a ChainerHost error and the installation was shut down.

So I unistalled the old version to install Studio 2009 from scratch. No success - again the ChainerHost error.

Now, I don't have any SDL software working properly on my PC and all attempts top fix it are useless. I have deadlines and projects waiting to be completed in Studio and I cannot do anything.

Anyone can help me with this ChainerHost bug, please? Any ideas?

[Zmieniono 2010-03-13 08:56 GMT]
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Manual cleanup... spare CAT tool... Mar 14, 2010

[...]

So I unistalled the old version to install Studio 2009 from scratch. No success - again the ChainerHost error.

I received this error on the English version.
I managed to install T2009 correctly (I hope) after some (few) reboots and some manual cleanup (I don't remember exactly, probably I unistalled all and removed manually the related Program files\SDL\Installers folders).
The usual common sense routines apply.

I received this error on only one PC (I have a bunch of Trados machines), so I didn't pay attention.

Now, I don't have any SDL software working properly on my PC and all attempts top fix it are useless. I have deadlines and projects waiting to be completed in Studio and I cannot do anything.

You should have a spare CAT tool.
Srsly.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-03-14 14:09 GMT]

Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Manual cleanup in progress. Spare CAT tools and computers available - but still it's not the point. Mar 14, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

I managed to install T2009 correctly (I hope) after some (few) reboots and some manual cleanup (I don't remember exactly, probably I unistalled all and removed manually the related Program files\SDL\Installers folders).
The usual common sense routines apply.

I have already applied common sense routines. Manual cleanup of installers was the first thing after automatic procedures. However, with no success. Once, when I had problems with Trados 2007, SDL tech support instructed me to delete some specific registry entries. I just thought someone has already gone through this.

You should have a spare CAT tool.

Oh, I should. And I do have others. But this time the file format is best to edit in Studio. And anyway, that's not the point here. I have now Studio running on another PC, but it still means that on the first one installation is impossible.

I made that remark on projects and deadlines because I'm simply fed up with the quality of this product and when I see its adverts I don't know if I should laugh or frown.

Thanks anyway, I will update on the situation.

Best regards
W

Aurelie Jacquet  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
solution Jun 22, 2011

Do you have a solution to your problem ?

[Edited at 2011-06-23 05:47 GMT]

Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The solution Jun 22, 2011

Bad news. Reinstalling the whole system. SDL support did not come up with any working solution, even though they tried really hard (or at least it seemed so). They blamed Vista (who would blame Studio, huh?)

I upgraded from Vista to 7 then. It's been over a year now, no serious problems so far.

[Zmieniono 2011-06-22 21:10 GMT]

Aurelie Jacquet  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
ok... Jun 23, 2011

ok thank you...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ChainerHost problem - cannot work on or install any SDL components

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search