MultiTerm 2007 not working anymore after running LaunchStudio.bat to fix Term Recognition problem
Thread poster: Yasemin Belkiran

Yasemin Belkiran  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:43
English to German
+ ...
Mar 14, 2010

Hi,
does anyone know how to make MultiTerm 2007 run again after having executed the LaunchStudio.bat file to fix the Term Recognition problem in SDL Trados Suite 2009, which it effectively solved but caused MultiTerm 2007 to stop working (error message: Class not registered. MultiTerm iX.Application. Code 0x80040154 -> Please re-install MultiTerm - which is something I definitely don't want to do since I can quite well imagine that this will lead to one million new problems with version 2009...)? I still didn't export/upgrade all my termbases, which is why I still need MultiTerm 2007, right now, actually...
I also tried to register the SDL components again via the shortcut in the start menu, unfortunately in vain.
Any hint is highly appreciated!
Thank you!
Yasemin

Direct link Reply with quote

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
MT 2007 vs 2009 Mar 14, 2010

transint wrote:

does anyone know how to make MultiTerm 2007 run again after having executed the LaunchStudio.bat file to fix the Term Recognition problem in SDL Trados Suite 2009, which it effectively solved but caused MultiTerm 2007 to stop working (error message: Class not registered. MultiTerm iX.Application. Code 0x80040154 -> Please re-install MultiTerm - which is something I definitely don't want to do since I can quite well imagine that this will lead to one million new problems with version 2009...)? I still didn't export/upgrade all my termbases, which is why I still need MultiTerm 2007, right now, actually...
I also tried to register the SDL components again via the shortcut in the start menu, unfortunately in vain.

IMO it's "normal".
I.e. I don't think it's logic but it works as you describe.

You can have both MT2007 and MT2009 installed but only one of 'em is operational at a time.
You must reregister the MT2007 components using MT Side by Side tools (provided out of the box with MT 2009 SP2).
Wher reregistered, don't use longer T2009 as long you use MT2007.
T2009 needs MT2009.
BTW. I find MT2009 is far better than the MT iX/7.x crap (including MT2007), so I don't longer use MT2007 unless really necessary.

I assume you have the latest MT 2007 build installed.
If you have oldetr builds, strange things may happen.

Cheers
GG

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
re-registering didn't work Mar 14, 2010

Hi Grzegorz,

Thanks but I tried re-registering the 2007 components before, if you mean via T2007_FL\TT\SelfRegister.bat. Unfortunately, this didn't work.

Before I executed the LaunchStudio.bat file, MultiTerm 2007, the Workbench 2007 and the Studio 2009 were all working 'fine' (relative to the known and yet unknown software issues...). In order to enable the corrupted term recognition in version 2009, I ran this file, which then destroyed my 2007 version.

After having invested a considerable amount of time and nerves into the new version, I also find it quite comfy to work with. However, I still need to upgrade all my legacy termbases and tms, for which I just didn't have the time so far, which is also why I do need to keep v2007 up and running.

Since I read that installing MultiTerm 2007 after installing v2009, i.e. not uninstalling it prior to applying vSP2, causes several problems, I was just hoping that someone knows of a way to spare me uninstalling and reinstalling all SDL Trados versions on my machine.

Best regards,
Yasemin

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Side by Side tool Mar 14, 2010

Hi Yasemin,

I don't think Grzegorz was referring to the self-register batch file.

If you look in your SDL program group, you should see a folder called SDL MultiTerm Side by Side Tools. That's where you will find the routines to activate MT 2007 and MT2009.

HTH

Giles

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Workaround... issues Mar 14, 2010

transint wrote:

However, I still need to upgrade all my legacy termbases and tms, for which I just didn't have the time so far, which is also why I do need to keep v2007 up and running.

You can always install MT2007 on another machine, copy all the necessary files (termbases, MTmaster etc.) and export your termbases.
The MT2007 licence check is... huh... very permissive...
It's one of the reasons why it was never published as trial.

Since I read that installing MultiTerm 2007 after installing v2009, i.e. not uninstalling it prior to applying vSP2,

With SP2, you have a choice and you don't longer need to uninstall MT2007.
Finally...

causes several problems, I was just hoping that someone knows of a way to spare me uninstalling and reinstalling all SDL Trados versions on my machine.

Well.
You're right. IMO.
The Multiterm programming was always messy and it's the reason why I decided to maintain some "pure" Trados/MT2007 machines in order to avoid this kind of problems and maintain the compatibilty.
But I was running sucessfully MT2007 and MT2009 SP1 on various machines (after a MT 2007 uninstall/reinstall).
It's not perfect but it seems to work if you use MT Side by Side tools.
The selfregister may be not enough for MT2007, al least it was insufficient approx. one year ago.

Cheers
GG

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
re-installing is the actual solution May 19, 2010

Hi there,

First of all, thanks to you all for your remarks and suggestions.

After having tried everything, I just gave up and uninstalled both versions, rebooted and installed first version 2007 and then version 2009.

Now everything is (finally) working fine!

Since uninstalling and re-installing everything is actually much faster then fiddling around for hours or days, I can only recommend this to anyone encountering technical problems with SDL Trados products.

Good luck to you all!

Best regards,
Yasemin

Hélène Curtis  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:43
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
Error code 0x80040154 Feb 5, 2011

Hi Yasemin,

I am experiencing the same issue you did. If I uninstall everything as you recommend, will everything work fine as it did before?...will the MultiTerm 2007 work as it did before with no loss of data?

Tangopeter

English to Dutch
+ ...
Use Side by Side tools... Apr 11, 2011

Hélène Curtis wrote:

Hi Yasemin,

I am experiencing the same issue you did. If I uninstall everything as you recommend, will everything work fine as it did before?...will the MultiTerm 2007 work as it did before with no loss of data?

I had exactly the same problem as Yasemin (error code 0x80040154) when trying to use MTiX 2007 (build 448) in SDLT2007 after having used Launch.bat for Studio 2009 in a previous job.

Re-registering MTiX 2007 with selfregister.bat didn't help, but using the Side by Side tools (Programs > SDL > SDL MultiTerm Side by Side Tools > Activate SDL MultiTerm 2007) did work.

And if you want to work with MT2009 again, you have to use SbS Tools again to re-activate SDL MultiTerm 2009, of course.

Using this method, term recognition will function in SDLT2007 or SDLT2009 (that is to say, in my system it works; the ways of SDLT can be very, ehm, amazing...)

HTH,
Peter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm 2007 not working anymore after running LaunchStudio.bat to fix Term Recognition problem

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 for €415/$495 with free eLearning
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 For this month only – receive SDL Trados Studio 2017 - Getting Started eLearning for FREE.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search