error: converting file
Thread poster: aazaadeh
aazaadeh
Iran
Local time: 23:55
Mar 18, 2010

is there anyone here who knows what does it mean: "an error occurred while converting fields back to Microsoft word format: possible fields deletion

is there any solution?
I am at the middle of a project and I don't know how I can get rid of it.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jean-Pierre Artigau
Canada
Local time: 16:25
English to French
+ ...
Codes in your source document Mar 18, 2010

I suppose you work with Trados Studio 2009.

This problem is sometimes caused by certain "non-text codes" (although I don't know how these should be proprely named) that are inserted in your source document, for example checkboxes, some mathematical signs, etc. In Trados Studio 2009, those "codes" will appear as "tags" in the source column, but even if you copy them in the target segment, as soon as you touch that segment you end up with an impossible conversion back to Microsoft Word (unless you leave the segment with the status "not translated"). Also some source documents (forms) "look like" Word documents but their content cannot be modified, you should not attempt to translate them with Trados.

So now you should look at the original version of your source document to find whatever looks like a strange code. If it is a form, for instance, the problem can be caused by a number of checkboxes. You can remove those parts and put them back in the target version after translating the rest of the document and converting it to Word (lots of manipulations and a waste of time, I know); another solution might be to translate the whole document in Trados EXCEPT the segments where the codes are (leave them as "not translated") (IF you know where they are).

After "cleaning" your original source document, in Trados Studio, you should do this:
- Starting from the document you translated, update your main translation memory
- Remove the older version that caused the problem (from the target language AND the source language)
- In the source language, add the new (cleaned) version that you have just prepared
- "Prepare" the document. This will make it to a "translatable" document on the target side, and "pretranslate" it by using the memory you have just updated.
- Then try to convert back to Microsoft Word.
- If your translation is not complete, you can make backup Microsoft Word copies as you go to avoid losing your work.

Hope this will help.

Jean-Pierre

aazaadeh
Iran
Local time: 23:55
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 19, 2010

Thank you very much. It seems it is easier to translate the doc without the help of Studio 2009

William Tierney  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:25
Member (2002)
Arabic to English
Conversion back to MS Word and Overloading Studio 2009's circuits. Sep 29, 2010

I just had a jolly time with a document containing lots of graphics, tables, auto numbering and two tables of contents.

It would not convert to a Word document in Studio 2009. After too much time spent on diagnostics, I loaded the TM into Trados 2007 and was able to convert the file, but with one minor hitch, the Arabic text read right-to-left, but the punctuation read left-to-right! !

I had to go through the file and make all the manual corrections.

I checked SDL's documentation, which states that MS Word files need no preparation prior to loading into the CAT tool. I don't believe this is the case. I tried removing the TOC and trying again, but I had the same problem. I have another document with the same general format, and would rather avoid the pain.

I am not sure I get every step in Jean-Pierre's post. Do I have to go into the TM and remove the segments for the former document before loading my current document? If there is a lot of common segments, then how do I retain them so I can use them with the new document?

Thanks for your help.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 22:25
French to German
+ ...
This is a quite common trap Sep 29, 2010

aazaadeh wrote:

is there anyone here who knows what does it mean: "an error occurred while converting fields back to Microsoft word format: possible fields deletion

is there any solution?
I am at the middle of a project and I don't know how I can get rid of it.

This error usually shows up if your source document contains 'field' tags and you have not copied these tags over to the target segment.

A common example are Internet links (URLs). They are enclosed in a pair of 'field' tags and you MUST also have this pair of tags in the target segment, otherwise you will get this error and not be able to preview or save as target.

My advice: always transfer 'field' tags from source to target (do not think that they are not required!) and if you get this error message, check if your document contains such tags, which you might not have transferred.

Walter

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 22:25
English to Czech
+ ...
Same problem Sep 29, 2010

Hello everyone and especially Walter,
I have translated a Word document (copy-pasted from a website) and have the same problem concerning supposed fields deletion.

No: no fields are deleted, all tags are exactly where they should be, tag verification throws no errors. All segments containing tags have been copied from source. Yet, impossible to save the target.

Not even Jean-Pierre's suggestion has worked for me.

Strangely enough, the file works perfectly in TagEditor... :/

EDIT: I did some testing and the result is: Convert the DOC file into DOCX and use the TM from your previous translation to pretranslate this new file. Everything should be working fine (at least it has for me).

[Upraveno: 2010-09-29 20:10 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

error: converting file

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search