Thread poster: Paula González Fernández

Paula González Fernández  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 19, 2010

Hello everytone,
Is there a way to see what's IN the TM? For instance, I'm looking for the TM a did a given translation with, and I don't know whether I used it with my "general TM" or with the "technical TM".
Thanks!
Paula

Direct link Reply with quote

Oscar Martin
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Concordance Mar 19, 2010

Hello Paula,

If you use Trados 2007 (8.x), open the TM in Trados Workbench and go to Tools > Concordance (or press F3). Search the original term or sentence.

Regards,

Oscar

María Isabel Bolívar Pérez  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Use the Maintenance function Mar 19, 2010

Apart from the Concordance function, you can also use the Maintenance function (menu File), and use the Filter options to find exactly what you want (for example, if it is a TM provided by a client and you want to see just the TUs you translated, you can add the field "Created by" and assign it your Trados user ID). If you don't add any filter criteria, you will be able to see everything there is in the TM.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Export Mar 19, 2010

You can also export the TM to txt or tmx if you want to have a detailed look at what it contains. They are mostly human readable right out of the box, but you can open them with xbench and export into tab delimited format if you want to make them even easier to read.

Also, the number of TUs often gives you good information about a TM. (In workbench: File/Properties/Translation Units.)

For your purposes here, a couple of simple concordance searches should suffice.

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Analyse the the source file Mar 19, 2010

Probably, the concordance is the simplest method but another way to to it would be to analyse the source file with each of the TMs and see which offers a higher number of 100%m atches.

Daniel

Paula González Fernández  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Jun 4, 2010

This is exactly what I needed, but how do I do what you propose? "They are mostly human readable right out of the box, but you can open them with xbench and export into tab delimited format if you want to make them even easier to read"
Thanks again!

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Notepad Jun 4, 2010

Paula González Fernández wrote:

This is exactly what I needed, but how do I do what you propose? "They are mostly human readable right out of the box, but you can open them with xbench and export into tab delimited format if you want to make them even easier to read"
Thanks again!

Hi Paula,
you can open any TMX with Windows Notepad. Anyway, I would suggest that you develop a better way of organising your TMs, so you always know which TM you used for a particular translation job.

As for me, I keep my TMs organised according to the different clients. The folder structure is as follows:

...ROOT\Documents and Settings\User name\Translations\TMs\Client Name\

My TM files naming convention is:
client_name_source_language_code_target_language_code, e.g. "client_en-GB_cs-CZ.sdltm."

I hope this helps you a little.

[Upraveno: 2010-06-04 12:23 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way to see what is IN a TM?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search