Export source segments from Trados studio
Thread poster: Ahmed Maher

Ahmed Maher  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:09
English to Arabic
+ ...
Mar 22, 2010

Hi there,

I just want to know if it is applicable to export the source segments from trados studio in the same segmentation in the software or even to excel file?

Thanks in advance,

Ahmed Maher

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:09
English
Yes Mar 22, 2010

Hi,

You can use the Bilingual Preview Generator which is an add on to Studio. This allows you to export a single sdlxliff, or all the sdlxliffs on a project in one go, as excel files, word files or xml files with both the target and source segments.

If you use the side by side export then you can delete the target column in excel and be left with only the source.

You can find this tool through this link;

http://www.sdl.com/en/company/partners/sdl-openexchange/browse-studio-applications/default.asp

Regards

Paul

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 01:09
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Yes, but there are limitations Mar 22, 2010

This tool relies on SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP2 and Microsoft Office 2007 or later. Earlier versions of SDL Trados Studio 2009 or Microsoft Office cannot be used.

http://www.sdl.com/en/company/partners/sdl-openexchange/browse-studio-applications/apps/bilingual-preview-generator.asp

I don't use Studio and moreover I only have Office 2003. But still I have a solution for it; I can use Deja Vu X for SDLXLIFF files.

United Kingdom
English
DejaVu4Free? Mar 22, 2010

Hi Selcuk,

I guess if you have DejaVu already then this is ok, but if you don't it may be a slightly limiting alternative to purchasing an upgrade to Office 2007icon_wink.gif

Regards

Paul

Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
It is a solution that works for me Mar 22, 2010

Hi Paul,

It is a solution that works for me because I already have DVX, which can be used to translate Trados, SDLX, Studio, Wordfast Pro, Idiom and Across files.

There is a free version of Deja Vu, but it can be used only for translating projects prepared by Deja Vu X Workgroup version (similar to SDL Elite and SDL Lite).

The problem is after upgrading from Trados 2007 to Studio, one should upgrade to Office 2007 as well in order to use this free Bilingual Preview Generator. So Studio is still dependent on a certain version of MS Office. What do you think, is it so possible to use Microsoft 2003 as well?

Selcuk

United Kingdom
English
Not Studio Mar 23, 2010

Hi Selcuk,

Just to clarify, Studio is not dependant on Office to that extent. You can have Office 2003 or 2007 only and Studio itself will operate fine. The BPG is an add-on and it has been written taking advantage of Office 2007 features (it does a little more than just provide the source and target text) and this is why you need Office 2007 for this add-on.

The add-on is available through the OpenExchange so if there is a demand for the same thing using Office 2003 then maybe someone in the community might write one.

Regards

Paul

Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Possible support for Office 2003 Mar 23, 2010

SDL Support wrote:

The add-on is available through the OpenExchange so if there is a demand for the same thing using Office 2003 then maybe someone in the community might write one.

Thanks for clarifying it Paul.

Tadej Reissner  Identity Verified
Slovenia
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Hmmm Apr 8, 2010

Well I have Office 2007 and Studio 2009, and somehow the Preview Generator thinks I don't and won't process the files... anyone have any ideas?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Export source segments from Trados studio

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search