How to open a TTX file with InDesign CS3 (Mac)?
Thread poster: 21335

Local time: 07:35
Mar 25, 2010

Hello everybody!

I am NOT an translator, just a graphic designer, so please excuse my ignorance!

I don't know whether this is the right forum to post my question, so please feel free to move this thread.

I have registered here as I seek help: I was given a translation which is said to have made with TRADOS. The files I received have the extensions: ttx, iix, mdf, mtf, mwf, tmw. As far as I learned from various posts in multiple threads, the TTX file should be the important one: the one with the translation.

My problem now is, I cannot open this file!
I tried to open it with InDesign CS3 and CS2, via drag and drop, via the file open menu. I changed the file extension to INX. No success. The translator is on vacation now, and won't return before next Monday. I googled the past two days, and still have no idea what to do.

Maybe one of you translation professionals is able to tell me, HOW can I open this file?

My System:
Apple Mac PPC G5
Mac OS 10.4.11
Adobe InDesign CS1 - CS3

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards
Mathias
from Germany

Direct link Reply with quote

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
TTX Mar 25, 2010

Hi Mathias,
the TTX format is a proprietary SDL Trados format, derived from the standard XML format. AFAIK, it is only used to process translations.

If you want to open the file containing the translation, you will have to ask the translator to provide you with an InDesign compatible file, in this case an INX (InDesign Interchange) file.

Explanation: in Trados, there is an application called TagEditor. It converts various file formats into TTX and back to the original format when the translation is completed. However, this back conversion can only be done if one has the original file (*).

You probably have a file with the extension INX.TTX, what you need is a file with only the INX extension (containing the document in the target language).

ETA: it is not a Mac vs. PC issue. I worked on a PC with INX files generated by the Mac version of Adobe InDesign (CS 3 it was).

(*) Although it could be worth having a back conversion try with another CAT tool supporting TTX...

[Edited at 2010-03-25 17:49 GMT]

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
Simple Mar 25, 2010

21335 wrote:

Hello everybody!

I was given a translation which is said to have made with TRADOS. The files I received have the extensions: ttx, iix, mdf, mtf, mwf, tmw.

Regards
Mathias
from Germany

You need Trados. Nothing to do!

TTX is the bilingual file to be translate (or already translated) and the others build the database for this "project".

Regards

TOPIC STARTER
@ Laurent + Fernado: Mar 26, 2010

Thank you for your quick replies!

Well, all I received from the translator is the *.inx.ttx file plus the project files (iix, mwf etc.). He didn't send me an extra *.inx.

I do have the original file (which was the source for the translation = English), but it does not contain the target language (Polish), of course.

I do not have Trados.

So, there is no way for me to create the Polish version from the TTX, right?

Regards
Mathias

[Edited at 2010-03-26 08:28 GMT]

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Possibility Mar 26, 2010

Hi again, Mathias.
The fact that you have the (monolingual) source file is good news. "Any" translator equipped with SDL Trados will be able to convert back the INX.TTX to an INX file containing only the target language.

But to answer your question directly: no, you cannot create the target (INX) file without having Trados, as the TTX file is basically bilingual - in this case English/Polish.

Japamerican  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:35
Japanese to English
+ ...
I am having the same problem Aug 19, 2010

Hello!

Yes, I am having the same problem as well. When I try to convert the ttx back into inx, it gives me the error:

Failed to save target content: cannot find file type definition with id InDesign CS2 v 1.1.0.0

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
"I am having the same problem" Aug 20, 2010

If I remember right, you need to have the original inx file in the same folder as the ttx file.
You may also want to run verify on the ttx file in case there is something wrong with the codes.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to open a TTX file with InDesign CS3 (Mac)?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search