Thread poster: Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:30
English to French
+ ...
Mar 27, 2010

Hi,

I've installed both SDL Trados Studio 2009 and 2007 on the same machine under Vista French SP2 on 2 separate HDs - both versions are working fine but Trados states that I should be able to use Multiterm 2009 under 2007, I've downloaded the patch to fix the compatibility issue. Multiterm is shown when opening 2007 but when clicking on any of the entries "Open Terminology DB" or any other entry, the message is as follows: " Objet reference not set to an instance of an objet".... See more
Hi,

I've installed both SDL Trados Studio 2009 and 2007 on the same machine under Vista French SP2 on 2 separate HDs - both versions are working fine but Trados states that I should be able to use Multiterm 2009 under 2007, I've downloaded the patch to fix the compatibility issue. Multiterm is shown when opening 2007 but when clicking on any of the entries "Open Terminology DB" or any other entry, the message is as follows: " Objet reference not set to an instance of an objet".

I know that there are a couples of Multiterm 2009 issues under Vista if the latest version of Java got installed and UAC is enabled but I got around it but haven't found any way to get it to workl with 2007.

Thanks,

Bernard
Collapse

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:30
English to Dutch
+ ...
SDL MultiTerm 2009 in SDL Trados 2007 7 not working Apr 29, 2010

I haven't succeeded in getting MultiTerm 2009 to work in the Trados 2007 Workbench at all yet, despite Side-by-Side utility, activation utility, repair utility and whatever else is out there. What a $%&/ mess!

Studio works fine with MT 2009, but there are situations where I'd prefer working in Microsoft Word (more than one source language in the document, more than one target language in one document, any converted PDF or other document where I must fear the dreaded "Cannot convert
... See more
I haven't succeeded in getting MultiTerm 2009 to work in the Trados 2007 Workbench at all yet, despite Side-by-Side utility, activation utility, repair utility and whatever else is out there. What a $%&/ mess!

Studio works fine with MT 2009, but there are situations where I'd prefer working in Microsoft Word (more than one source language in the document, more than one target language in one document, any converted PDF or other document where I must fear the dreaded "Cannot convert back to original file format" situation, etc.)

Is there someone there who actually uses MT 2009 in Trados 2007? Does it have to do with my laptop running Win 7 64 bit?
Collapse

Bernard Lieber
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDLX Apr 30, 2010

I don't think you can use Multiterm in 2007, the only progress I've made is using it in SDLX when installing the latest patches Multiterm is displayed in the menu.

thalassia
thalassia
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:30
Italian to English
Multiterm Desktop 2009 + Trados 2007 Oct 9, 2010

OS Windows XP sp3 32 bit running in virtual machine on Linux
Trados 2007 (last version) and 2009 (sp3) installed
Office 2000 and 2003 (both sp3)

Multiterm 2009 works fine in TWB 2007.
Initial problems with java version for Multiterm 2007 with install of later java for 2009 so uninstalled Multiterm 2007 (they would not co-exist, although I have not tried the side by side function that comes with MT 2009 sp3, which may solve the problem, but I doubt it as you cannot
... See more
OS Windows XP sp3 32 bit running in virtual machine on Linux
Trados 2007 (last version) and 2009 (sp3) installed
Office 2000 and 2003 (both sp3)

Multiterm 2009 works fine in TWB 2007.
Initial problems with java version for Multiterm 2007 with install of later java for 2009 so uninstalled Multiterm 2007 (they would not co-exist, although I have not tried the side by side function that comes with MT 2009 sp3, which may solve the problem, but I doubt it as you cannot edit entries in 2007 with other versions of jave).
The only problem I encountered was the macro in word ("cannot autoexec etc.")
Originally I copied the template to the word start-up folder, now I activate it through tools/add-ins.
Still got the same message, but term recognition works properly in TWB and you can edit entries from the program itself, but not directly from word.
Yesterday I installed sp3 version of Multiterm 2009 and everything works perfectly even with editing the glossary via Word.
I don't think the OS should make much of a difference, although I wouldn't touch Vista or 7 with a bargepole (resource hungry, especially using a virtual machine).
Multiterm 95 and 5 coexist happily with both MT 2007 and 2009, if you want to go down that route.
At the moment I am working on editing the installer so I can use Windows 2000 (which is basically the same as XP minus the frills).

Anyway, just to confirm that Multiterm 2009 works perfectly in TWB 2007.
Collapse

Bernard Lieber
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 11, 2010

Thank you very much - it works fine indeed with your workaround.

Bernard

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using Multiterm Desktop 2009 With SDL Trados 2007

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »