SDL Studio Autosuggest - Converting a TMX file into a dictionary
Thread poster: Marinus Vesseur

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:16
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 30, 2010

So I got Studio to work, INCLUDING the Autosuggest feature. Hurray. I could even generate a dictionary by converting an sdltm.

Next step: converting a TMX into an sdltm. This was the result (kind of familiar if you've worked with SDL before):

SDL Studio,Trados,SDL Trados,AutoSuggest,TMX import,Tra

This particular TMX was generated with a tool from the site of the European Union. It only creates version 1.1 TMXes. Could that be the problem? The help files don't mention any specific requirements for TMX files here, but when you have worked with SDL a few years you learn to think find your own solutions, so I imported the file into a new TM with Trados 2007, then exported it into a version 1.4 TMX and presto! It worked.

Hope this is a helpful tip for some.

- Rien

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:16
French to Polish
+ ...
Error in the file header... Mar 31, 2010

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

This particular TMX was generated with a tool from the site of the European Union. It only creates version 1.1 TMXes. Could that be the problem?

No, the problem is the header of the file is incorrect.
A lot of tools experience different problems with these files, e.g. DVX is unable to import it.
It's a well known bug for the developpers.

The help files don't mention any specific requirements for TMX files here, but when you have worked with SDL a few years you learn to think find your own solutions, so I imported the file into a new TM with Trados 2007, then exported it into a version 1.4 TMX and presto! It worked.

So I did many years ago
You cans also import the file to a T2009 TM, then point this TM directly, a temporary well formed TMX will be created automatically (and deleted, if you don't want to keep it).

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-03-31 08:10 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
TMX > SDLTM > AS dictionary Apr 1, 2010

Hi Marinus,
I support GG's idea to import the TMX to SDLTM and create the AS dictionary only then. This worked for me with several EU DGT TMs.

(Oooh, so many abbreviations...)

jmstextservice  Identity Verified
Dutch to English
Difference between AutoSuggest TM and main TM in Studio 2009 May 25, 2010

I downloaded the EU DGT dictionaries as well, and my question is how I can use it as an AutoSuggest dictionairy rather than load it as a standard TM in a project. If I go to Tools -> Options, it tells me the AutoSuggest dictionary has to have a *.bpm extension.

Any thoughts on whether I should convert the standard Studio 2009 TM (i.e. the EU DGT dictionary) to a *.bpm and whether this is possible?

Thanks.

Marcel.

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:16
Spanish to English
how to create the AS dictionary? Jul 13, 2011

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Hi Marinus,
I support GG's idea to import the TMX to SDLTM and create the AS dictionary only then. This worked for me with several EU DGT TMs.

(Oooh, so many abbreviations...)

could you please explain how you create an AS dictionary from a TMX or SDLTM file?
your help would be greatly appreciated.

rich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Studio Autosuggest - Converting a TMX file into a dictionary

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search