Following reinstallation: error 50018 cannot contact server'
Thread poster: marie-cecile

marie-cecile  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:14
English to French
+ ...
Mar 31, 2010

Hi,

It's me again, I have never spent so much energy and time to make a software run normally (or try).

Well, I had to reformat and reinstall my laptop, and now I cannot license Trados 2007 and Trados Studio. I get the message 'Error 50018 cannot contact server' in both applications.

I tried the Solution Finder, so:
- I checked the Firewall and the program is authorized (no result)
- I authorized the ports mentioned in the documentation (no result)
- I tried to fill the 'New request' form and I get another error message (ARERR9351), and my request cannot be sent to Trados.

Given all the technical problems I have had with this software I think I will revert to Wordfast which is stable at least (I re-licensed it in two seconds via the website).

But I don't like the idea of having paid so much for a license that hasn't brought me any benefits yet (apart from meeting the support team, who is really friendly and helpful) but only problems and waste of time. So any help or message giving hope will be welcome. Sorry to sound negative but I am really tired.

Marie-Cécile

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:14
English to Dutch
+ ...
SDL Studio activation problems Mar 31, 2010

This could be caused by your antivirus software. It may prevent programs from "phoning home". I have Avira and it does exactly that, so I had to switch it off to get the activation working. Of course it could also be that the SDL server observes British tea time and is not available when you are up and about in Costa Ricaicon_wink.gif

HTH

- Rien

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have Avira too Mar 31, 2010

I just turned the antivirus down and... nothing happened, I have the same message when I try to activate the license. I can't believe the server is still on tea break at this time of the nighticon_smile.gif

Thanks for the input anyway,

Marie-Cécile

[Modifié le 2010-03-31 03:12 GMT]

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados blues... Apr 6, 2010

The 'support team' sent me a procedure, and said in case it wouldn't work they would send me further instructions. The procedure didn't help. The so-called 'support team' just ignores my mails (I relaunched three times).

I am really upset with this software and wish I could have it refunded because it never served me since I purchased it. I used it to see, but I would have done faster with Wordfast.

Studio seems more stable and user friendly but it is not compatible with Trados 2007 and my clients want the bilingual document and the TM in 2007 format. For a project I used Studio then converted the file into T2007 but the segmentation was not exactly the same and I had to redo some segments manually and wasted another two hours as it was a large document.

Now I have two licenses for costly softs that I can't use, just because I cannot communicate with their server. Isn't it ridiculous.

Is there someone from the commercial department here?

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sad update Apr 26, 2010

The support still ignores my request. So I paid 900$ for an application that I have been able to use for only one month or so.

I am very, very upset.

Whom could I write to in Trados to request a refunding?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Following reinstallation: error 50018 cannot contact server'

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search