Windows 7 update disables Trados Studio?
Thread poster: Per Riise

Per Riise  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 03:24
Member (2003)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Mar 31, 2010

I run Windows 7 via WMWare Fusion (I have also tried Parallells 5) on a MacPro. It seems that the latest Windows update effectively kills Trados Studio, as I get the error message: "Service ´Sdl.TranslationStudio.Api.ProjectManagement.IProjectManagementService´ could not be started". I've tried to do a rollback to an earlier version of Windows 7, and then Trados Studio works ok again. As soon as Windows runs an update, the same thing happens again. Trados Freelance works ok. Are SDL aware of this?

Best regards,
Per Riise

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
No generic issue Mar 31, 2010

Hello Per,

Per Riise wrote:
..., as I get the error message: "Service ´Sdl.TranslationStudio.Api.ProjectManagement.IProjectManagementService´ could not be started". I've tried to do a rollback to an earlier version of Windows 7, and then Trados Studio works ok again. As soon as Windows runs an update, the same thing happens again. Trados Freelance works ok. Are SDL aware of this?

I just applied the latest set of patches to my physical Windows7 machine (no VM) and as of now I cannot reproduce the issue. The error message however looks familiar:

To get studio running again, please check the complete error message via clicking on the (+) on the left hand side - ideally click on the floppy-disk icon on the lower left of the error-message box and save the error message, it can be easily viewed with your web browser afterwards.

In the full error description there should be a XML file being mentioned, for instance
file:///C:/Documents and Settings/[YOUR USER NAME]/Program Files/SDL/Sdl.Enterprise.ServerConnectionManager.xml .

[YOUR USER NAME] corresponds to your actual user name.

The file mentioned is corrupt - and is the reason why Studio is not working.
Once you identified the XML file, please go to the mentioned folder using the windows explorer and locate the file. Delete or rename the file and restart Studio.
This will recreate the file.

Please be aware that this might reset Studio (depends on the actual file being recreated) so things like the list of projects might be empty when starting Studio again.

You can manually re-populate the project list then via opening the project files

I hope this helps you restoring Studio after applying your patches - as stated this does not seem to be a generic issue.

Regards,

Bernhard

[Edited at 2010-03-31 10:27 GMT]

Norway
Member (2003)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Removing the .xml doesn't help Mar 31, 2010

Hi, Bernard,

This happened first in my regular environment (WMWare Fusion - Win 7), whereupon I did a rollback. After a Windows update, it happened again, so I did a fresh Windows install under Parallells 5, using fresh downloads from SDL to install Trados Studio & MultiTerm 2009, and the same thing occured again. I've found the .xml (projects.xml under SDL Trados Studio/Projects), and deleted it, but the same error message keeps popping up again. I'm pasting in the full error message for you to see. It's a bit strange that the first time I encountered this was after the latest Windows update.

Best,
Per

-------------

-
Service 'Sdl.TranslationStudio.Api.ProjectManagement.IProjectManagementService' could not be started.
-
Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Services.ServiceStartException, Sdl.Desktop.Platform, Version=1.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c28cdb26c445c888

Sdl.Desktop.Platform
-
-

-
Sdl.ProjectApi.ProjectApiException, Sdl.ProjectApi, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c28cdb26c445c888

Sdl.ProjectApi.Implementation
-
-

-
System.UriFormatException, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

System
-
-

-
SDL Trados Studio
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
NULL
PERBJRNARRIE494\Administrator
PERBJRNARRIE494
True
1048120 MB

[Edited at 2010-03-31 11:34 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Shared Folders issue Mar 31, 2010

Doing a webex session showed that Shared Folders a well as Application Sharing were enabled in Parallels Workstation. Those features are known to create issues with Studio. Please have a look at http://kb.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2830&p=1 and the ProZ Thread referenced there.

After disabling those features Studio started successfully.
It eludes me why the Studio installation ever worked with these settings enabled, but only disabling Shared Folders and Application Sharing settings ensures Studio works on a Mac-based VM reliably.

Regards,

Bernhard

Norway
Member (2003)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Customize shared folders Mar 31, 2010

I've done a few tests of this after the WebEx session, and it seems that you can define your own shared folders w/o any problems. The clue is to not allow Parallells or WMware to set a generic sharing. W/o any sharing at all, the purpose of running a VM falls short.

Strastran (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
Any solution to this for non-mac users? Apr 29, 2010

Hi

I have this error, but I am on Windows 7 and am not a Mac user.

This is a very urgent issue - are SDL working on this?

I had the problem indicated here http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/163792-trados_studio_2009_wont_open_hangs.html, after which I managed to reinstall Studio 2009. However, I now can't open it at all as I get the message "Service ´Sdl.TranslationStudio.Api.ProjectManagement.IProjectManagementService´ could not be started".

Thanks in advance.

Raymond Peat  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:24
German to English
File projects.xml is corrupt May 13, 2010

Hi Patrick,
I am using Vista and Studio SP2. PC with 4Gb RAM plenty of harddrive space. Fast processor.

I suffer from the same fault (Studio won't start and gives the message "Service ´Sdl.TranslationStudio.Api.ProjectManagement.IProjectManagementService´ could not be started") on a recurring basis when working on big InDesign files.

I think it is related to either
(1) Java memoryproblem associated with adding terms to Multiterm in Studio (possibly running 2 versions of Java at the same time)
or
(2) memory problems due to indexing programs in Vista deciding to run in the early evening.

Luckily I automatically keep a recent backup copy of projects.xml, which I use to replace the corrupted version of the file at C:\Users\Username\Documents\SDL Trados Studio\Projects\projects.xml. Doing this allows Studio to start in my case.

I'm working on a series of long chapters in a book. Sometimes this fault is also associated with corruption of the file I am translating. What with the mysterious shortcut key that deletes all unconfirmed segments without an 'are you sure?' prompt in response to fat finger typing.... Studio is a very scarey program indeed. The much cheaper backup programs Memeo and File Hamster and my remote HD however have more than paid for themselves.icon_wink.gif

Ray Peat

Maria Palma  Identity Verified
Austria
German to Spanish
+ ...
I have a similar error message Jun 3, 2010

I'm trying to install Studio SP2 with Windows 7 (32 bits). In my case I keep receiving the message "Service "Sdl.TranslationsStudio.Api.Editor.IEditor.Service"could not be started" and I have no answer from the Support (I sent already two requests)

Maria Palma  Identity Verified
Austria
German to Spanish
+ ...
the solution that worked for me Jun 10, 2010

Close Studio, then rename the following foders to [originalfoldername]_old:

1. Under Libraries\Documents\My Documents rename the folder "SDL Trados Studio" to "SDL Trados Studio_old"

2. Under C:\ProgramData rename the "SDL" folder to "SDL_old".

3. Under C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\ rename the SDL folder to SDL_old.

Then restart Studio

Ruth Gualerzi  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
I am getting an error message when trying to install Multiterm because of incompatible with 64-bit Jun 11, 2010

Per Riise wrote:

I run Windows 7 via WMWare Fusion (I have also tried Parallells 5) on a MacPro. It seems that the latest Windows update effectively kills Trados Studio, as I get the error message: "Service ´Sdl.TranslationStudio.Api.ProjectManagement.IProjectManagementService´ could not be started". I've tried to do a rollback to an earlier version of Windows 7, and then Trados Studio works ok again. As soon as Windows runs an update, the same thing happens again. Trados Freelance works ok. Are SDL aware of this?

Best regards,
Per Riise

Patricia Barthélémy (X)  Identity Verified

English to French
Possible solution? Sep 7, 2010

Try deleting the Sdl.ProjectApi.xml file in the C:\User\[Username]\AppData\Local\SDL\ProjectApi\2.0.0.0 folder and restart SDL Trados.

[Modifié le 2010-09-07 18:11 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows 7 update disables Trados Studio?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search