Trouble with SDLX
Thread poster: Yelena Pestereva

Yelena Pestereva  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:31
English to Russian
+ ...
Apr 2, 2010

When I finished translation and tried to close the file the following sign appeared: "One of the tags is removed or inserted." I found an extra tag and spent a lot of time trying to delete it but all in vain. At last I decided to leave it as it was and created translation but when I opened this newly created file with TagEditor I found no Russian text, only English. I had another file to translate and this time I was very careful and inserted no extra tags but was again told that one of the tags had been removed or inserted while no segment was highlighted in green. Again I created translation with the same result: no Russian text in the newly created file. What am I to do? I am short of time.

Direct link Reply with quote

Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I... Apr 2, 2010

made some corrections but some tag seem to be still missing or modified. Is there a way to create translation inspite of this modified tag? And how can I identify this very tag? And what will my Project Manager do with me I wonder?

Cherepanov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2005)
English to Russian
+ ...
Possible solution Apr 2, 2010

I am not sure if it would be useful, but pls see:

http://tam.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/125344-cant_open_sgm_files_in_tageditor.html

Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Th... Apr 2, 2010

Thank you! Seems like nobody uses SDLX but me:) Thanks God my Project Manager told me not to worry. They will have to change formatting anyway.

Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Not only you Apr 2, 2010

Yelena Pestereva wrote:

Thank you! Seems like nobody uses SDLX but me:)

I have a couple of clients who send me all their jobs to be done in SDLX. And SDLX is not the worst of the CAT tools. But when I have a choice I use DVX.

Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Do... Apr 3, 2010

Did you ever have similar problems with SDLX? Is it always so "tag-sensitive", so to say?

Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Do I understand you right that you used TE for translating an SDLX file? Apr 3, 2010

Yelena Pestereva wrote:

Did you ever have similar problems with SDLX? Is it always so "tag-sensitive", so to say?

If yes, then you can have all sorts of problems. I once outsourced part of my work (with permission of the client) to a fellow countryman who without tellling me also converted the SDLX file i sent to him and translated it in TE, then back-converted it to SDLX and was very happy with his own cleverness. And I spent half a day trying to create the translation from his SDLX file. After I found out (I don't remember how) and pressed him he confessed and could not understand why I was not happy with the result.
To cut the long story short, SDLX and TE are not very good friends, never mind what SDL says about their compatibility.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trouble with SDLX

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search