cannot update TM when source text hidden
Thread poster: ian ward

ian ward  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:48
French to English
Apr 4, 2010

I've consulted the old threads and found the trick so that the show/hide function works.
However, according to my tutorial, I should then be able to alter the target text (with source hidden) and the tm will be updated, no need to open the segment. I have tested this and found it not to be the case. I was a little surprised when I read it in the tutorial.... or is there another trick to make this work as well?
thanks in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
You can't update the TM that way Apr 4, 2010

You can change the target text directly in Word, but you have to open the segment to update the TM. Alternatively, you can clean the entire document up afterwards, and that will update the TM as well.

It is also a good idea to unhide the source when editing the target, because it's easy to damage the markup tags when you don't see them.

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Apr 5, 2010

I seem to have misinterpreted the tutorial ! I get your point about damaging the tags. Thanks again
Ian

claude
Thailand
English to French
More precisely... Apr 5, 2010

You can do a lot without opening the segment :
search/replace for example.
edit inside the segment and at the end at the segment (only don't go the end of the paragraph with the End key, but just after the last character).
The only thing you can't do is editing from the first character, this won't work (except with Search/Replace) but you can edit it if you make visible the hidden text with the toolbar command which makes visible. In this case you can do anything (taking care not modifying the hidden text, particularly with search/replace).
This way of working is very useful in particular when proofreading. Just be cautious at the beginning and you should find the way of doing things safely.

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Claude Apr 6, 2010

yes, I understand, but the TM isn't updated.. I'd misread the tutorial (I think, maybe it's badly expressed).. but as Adam has said, the TM can be updated when cleaning. I agree with you about the rereading, that's exactly why I'm interested... as you say, it's just a question of getting into the swing of it... deciding what's the best way of going about a piece of text depending on the mayout etc.
thanks again
Ian

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

cannot update TM when source text hidden

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search