TagEditor 7.0 won't open an xlsx file. Please help.
Thread poster: pashtet

pashtet  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:39
English to Russian
+ ...
Apr 5, 2010

Dear colleagues,

I have to translate an MS Excel 2007 book. When I try to open it with my TagEditor, Version 7.0, it opens just 3 lines of the text and even that is in illegible symbols. Please help me to resolve this problem. Thank you.

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:39
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Not supported? Apr 5, 2010

TE 7.0 might not support XLSX files - I'm not sure, because mine is 8.0 and I can't check. What you could do is save the file in Excel as XSL and open it in TE. If the file is not very complicated, you could also copy and paste the content to a Word file, translate, clean up, and paste into Excel again.

avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Not compatible Apr 5, 2010

Trados 7.0 is quite an outdated version when it comes to file format support. You can of course upgrade, but saving the file a .xls to process it might do the trick.

United States
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Apr 5, 2010

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:

TE 7.0 might not support XLSX files - I'm not sure, because mine is 8.0 and I can't check. What you could do is save the file in Excel as XSL and open it in TE. If the file is not very complicated, you could also copy and paste the content to a Word file, translate, clean up, and paste into Excel again.

Thank you Adam! If I were to paste the content to a Word file, translate and then past into Excel, wouldn't it mess up the structure of the final document? It's a very long document (about 50 pages) and if I get a distorted result, it will be a disaster...

United States
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Apr 5, 2010

Marie-Claude Falardeau wrote:

Trados 7.0 is quite an outdated version when it comes to file format support. You can of course upgrade, but saving the file a .xls to process it might do the trick.

Marie-Claude, I have tried to do that, but when I drag and drop the converted .xls file to the TagEditor, it takes it forever to process it and I finally close the application via Task Manager. When I try to analize the .xls file with Trados Workbench, it also takes a long time, and in the end I get the message "(-2147467259): Connection with server application error: Exception from HRESULT: 0x800AC472 File skipped! Analyse finished. Warning: 1 error occurred (see above for details)!"

It's very frustrating...

Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
About pasting Apr 5, 2010

I don't know what the structure of the worksheets is, but you can use the Format Painter in Excel to copy the formatting from the entire source column to the entire target column, so that cells in each row will have the same formatting.

There can also be problems with line breaks in Excel. If there are line breaks within cells, when you paste them into Word, they will become soft returns, but when you paste them back into Excel, they will be treated as paragraph breaks. To avoid that problem, in Word, search and replace ^l (the symbol for soft breaks) with whatever unique string. Once back in Excel, you will need to replace that string with ALT+Enter.

Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
About the slow processing Apr 5, 2010

Older versions of Trados used to process Excel and PowerPoint files really slowly, indeed. It did take forever. It was true for both Tag Editor and analysis, because in both those tasks Trados has to convert the Excel file to TTX, and that's what takes so much time. I suggest you do wait longer, or split the XLS file into smaller pieces and open them separately.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor 7.0 won't open an xlsx file. Please help.

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search