Hélène Curtis  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:50
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
Apr 5, 2010

Hi All,

I'm a little bit confused as to what unclean file means. I recently worked on a project and delivered the translation "unclean"...meaning I did tamper with the Word doc. after I exported it from TradoEditor...but then the client came back and said than unclean means "with Trados tags" and because my doc. does not have tags, he would not be able to update the memory.

Can somebody help me understand and perhaps explain to me how to go about delivering "unclean" files?

Thanks in advance.

Hélène

Direct link Reply with quote

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:50
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Technische Foren » SDL Trados support » What is an 'unclean' file in Trados? Apr 5, 2010

Hello Hélène ,

I would first of all take a look here: http://deu.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/84205-what_is_an_unclean_file_in_trados.html, and elsewhere on these forums.

Good luck!

Michael

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:50
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
unclean is bilingual Apr 5, 2010

Unclean means the bilingual version, when the source and target segments are both there.
If you've done it within Word with Workbench, it's the bilingual .doc
If you've done it with TagEditor, it's the bilingual .ttx
If you've done it with Studio, it's the .sdxliff

Canada
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Step by step instruction Apr 5, 2010

Hi Emma,

So how do I do it? What are the steps?...starting with receiving the file from the client?

Hélène

Canada
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
on second thought... Apr 6, 2010

Emma,

It may be that the client is confused...when I sent back the files, I put the Target doc in its own folder...separated from its bilingual doc...perhaps he did not see it...anyways, I sent him another email with the two docs together...hopefully that will clear things up.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Delivery of unclean files?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search