SDL Trados: customer support? any problems
Thread poster: Vladimir Kolteniuk

Vladimir Kolteniuk  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:00
English to Russian
+ ...
Apr 5, 2010

I purchased my first Trados just before the New Year's eve through collective buy at ProZ, and only tried to download it the first time from the company website a few weeks ago. When I tried to download the first file out of three it won't download, but that's not what amazed me; it was lack of any "ends", such as a telephone number or even an e-mail address for tech support on their website, either in the general area or My account. Eventually I managed to get hold of a non-support related worker and she sent me the description of a way to get through to support personnel (not so long but winding). I e-mailed that person, got a response with diagnostic questions (April 1), replied to that and...never heard from them ever since then. Is SDL Trados known for such ignoring behaviour? Makes me regret I spent over $500 on the product that I cannot even download.

Direct link Reply with quote

ludovic touitou  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:00
Japanese to French
+ ...
There is a customer support Apr 5, 2010

But you would have to pay for it.

Otherwise, Proz.com forum comes in pretty handy with technical problems.

My technique: I grabbed one person from the local sales department and ask directly questions I could not solve on my own.

Good luck.

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:00
English to Dutch
+ ...
Standard procedure SDL customer non-support Apr 6, 2010

Regrettably that is the current reality with SDL. Then again, if you post your issues here you might get a reply.

As to the downloads: many have had the same experience that the downloads from the SDL servers are interrupted. Use a download manager and try it again.

HTH

- Rien

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 02:00
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Any firewall setting blocking the download? Apr 6, 2010

Hello Vladimir,

files in the Download section of your SDL Account can be downloaded any time (even years later and multiple times), so if you don't manage I wonder whether your local settings (Firewall) is blocking the download process.

(Are you using any download manager? The files are pretty heavy).

Giuliana

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Welcome to the world of SDL! Apr 6, 2010

What you describe is the facts, unfortunately. Everybody has experienced similar situations. Unless you pay for a support contract, you are using Trados on an as-is basis, or should I better say "at your own risk and expense". SDL's approach is not in line with the needs of a professional translator, if you ask me.

I strongly recommend other manufacturers who offer an excellent support as part of the purchase of the software.

I strongly recommend not to buy/use Trados without proper in-class training in advance.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
SOLUTION FINDER Apr 6, 2010

sdl has a solution finder on its website
http://talisma.sdl.com/display/2/index.aspx?tab=sf&r=0.7578187
If it doesn't solve your problem you will be able to submit a support case.

This forum is closely monitored by SDL support staff so if you can't sort it out through the SDL website (and remember that licensing and installation support is free), I'm sure you'll manage to find your answer here.

Claudio Porcellana  Identity Verified
Italy
SDL Trados: customer support? Apr 6, 2010

here is the SDL support direct line
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera_(mythology)
;-D

Claudio

Vladimir Kolteniuk  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:00
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your inputs Apr 6, 2010

Folks, thank you so much for your promptness and sympathy.

Ludovic, I seem to have some kind of PMSA (premium service agreement) that came with the purchase, but SDL told me today they give me a Level 2 for a month, FREE.

I also asked them what the rules for customer dissatisfaction returns, no answer yet, but I doubt if they have any such policy.

I will certainly keep an eye on this ProZ forum for problems I am sure I will have with this software yet.

Marinus, I haven't tried a download manager yet; any that are available for free download and you could recommend?

Guiliana, I have at least one firewall (from McCaffee) or even two (the Windows firewall as well) installed; I'll try to disable them for the time of the download.

Tomás, I start understanding what I got myself into; I cannot say I did not suspect it judging by bits and pieces I read previously on the Web. And I heard that Trados is not the best nor the easiest CAT to master. I risked because it's by far the most demanded by translation agencies (that's where SDl so totally excelled).

You say: "I strongly recommend not to buy/use Trados without proper in-class training in advance".

Well, I couldn't foresee that scenario in my worst dreams (necessity to train (slash "pay for training") for a product even before purchasing it. Besides how would you train without having a copy of your own and how effective and long and expensive that training would be?

I hope I will still have that option, asking a (ProZ?) translator in my area for individual classes, since I would not trust the effectiveness of SDL own training and webinars; probably would be cheaper too...

You say: "I strongly recommend other manufacturers who offer an excellent support as part of the purchase of the software".

Could you recommend any based on your personal experience or otherwise; that must be a product/products that would be not as expensive (probably nobody can beat Trados here
icon_smile.gif) and yet would be friendly for mastering by a newbie in the world of CAT.., and yet used by translation agencies, almost as widely as Trados?

Emma, I found the Solution Finder right away and I am sure I will use it in the future but I did not WANT to scrape through the manuals at the stage of DONWLOADING, not if I could; I wanted a quick kick-start instead. And, as I told SDL "myriads of companies with far less sophisticated and expensive products have a much easier access to customer support/tech support".

Claudio, I appreciate your sense of humor, at least one of my eyes shed tears too.

And... at least they are talking to me now.

Thanks colleagues, you will certainly see me on forum and topic with more questionsicon_frown.gif

Vladimir

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:00
English to Dutch
+ ...
Download manager Apr 6, 2010

Yes. I use DownThemAll!, which is an add-on to Firefox. Works great. The downloads are faster and, most importantly, are resumed when there is an interruption.

HTH

- Rien

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados: customer support? any problems

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search