Thread poster: Clara Díaz

Clara Díaz  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 7, 2010

Dear all,

First of all, please excuse my Trados illiteracy. I'm rather new to Trados Studio and still don't understand some of its tools. I've translated a couple of Excel files in Studio so far. The client asked me to provide both the exported TM and the unclean file. What I did then was to create a TM for the project in Studio and, after translating the document, I aligned the files in WinAlign so I could have a TM in Workbench. Because WinAlign would not accept the format of my Excel docs, I had to save them as bilingual in TagEditor. However, this only worked with the source file. As for the target file, as TagEditor would not recognize my Excel file, I couldn't save it as bilingual and so, I had to work in WinAlign with a xlsx file full of tags I took ages to get rid of.

Having said that, my question is the following: could you please tell me whether there is a simpler and/or quicker way of doing this or do I need to repeat this process everytime I'm asked for an exported memory? I suppose the unclean file can be the .sdlxlif file that is created in Studio so, it looks like I don't need to align the documents in order to produce the unclean file. However, I still need to do this in order to be able to send the exported TM to the client.

It might well be that I haven't understood anything of how Trados works and that I've been using it wrongly for a while. Anyway, I would appreciate it if you could give me a hand on this.

Thanks in advance!

Clara.

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:22
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
The TM export file from Studio is a .tmx file Apr 7, 2010

Hi Clara,

The .tmx file that you export from the Studio TM can just be sent to the client as it is. If the client is still using Workbench, that is no problem, because a .tmx file can be imported into Workbench.

As for unclean files, you would need to make it clear to the client in advance that you are using Studio, not Workbench, and that the only unclean file you could offer them is the .sdlxliff file from Studio. If they cannot make use of that, then it is still useful for them to have a .tmx export in any case.

Astrid

P.S. Concerning .xlsx files, you should save them as .xls files before you start working on them.

[Edited at 2010-04-07 15:53 GMT]

Clara Díaz  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The tmx in Studio Apr 7, 2010

Dear Astrid,

Thank you very much for your answer. It is all much clearer now. There is only one more thing I'm unsure of. If I create a memory in Studio and then translate the file in Studio, are the terms automaticaly imported into the memory while I'm translating the document? If that is the case, then I only need to translate the document with the memory and then send both the translated doc and the memory to the client, am I right?

Thank you very much, you've been of great help!

Clara.

Marialba Baez  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:22
English to Spanish
Upgraded TM does not save new segments in old TMX TM Apr 15, 2010

That's to answer your last question. I know it is so because a friend using workbench used my old TM and my new segments were not there, so I need to EXPORT my Studio 2009 TM and convert it into a TMX TM...how do I EXACTLY do that? Where is the export feauture on Studio 2009? I looked in the TM tab and I didn't see anything. Can somebody write a step by step process in English? Thanks!

mari

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Exporting a TM Apr 16, 2010

Hi Marialba,

The first thing you need to be aware of is that you could have two TM's - your main TM and your Project TM. This depends on how you are working, and if you have a Project TM and looked in your Main TM before you finalised your Project then it is quite likely that the new segments would not be in there yet. If you looked in your Project TM then they should be.

To complete the export is straightforward.

• Go to the Translation Memories tab at the bottom of the menu on the left
  • Open the TM in question so it is visible in the menu on the left
  • Then right click on the name of the TM and select Export

That's it.

I hope this helps.

Paul

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Step-by-step Apr 16, 2010

Ah, Paul already said thisicon_wink.gif

Let me just add, that if you have a specific project TM be sure to upgrade the main TM before you procede.
This is done before marking the project as "Complete".

Step-by-step for that:

* Click the tab "Project" in the lower left corner of the screen
* Right click on the project in question
A list appears
* Chose "Batch tasks" - "Update Main Translation Memories"

[Edited at 2010-04-16 07:55 GMT]

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:22
English to Russian
+ ...
and one more tip Apr 16, 2010

I am not sure whether it is important or not but I always tick the box to be sure that a translation memory is not empty

tmupdate.jpg

[Edited at 2010-04-16 11:06 GMT]

Marialba Baez  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:22
English to Spanish
Exporting Studio 2009 TM Apr 16, 2010

Great info. Thank you! For some reason, I was working and saving my translation, but when I opened the TM tab, my TM was NOT opened and I had to open it first to be able to export it. I thought it was automatic.

Thanks again!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
TM Maintenance Only Apr 16, 2010

Marialba Baez wrote:

Great info. Thank you! For some reason, I was working and saving my translation, but when I opened the TM tab, my TM was NOT opened and I had to open it first to be able to export it. I thought it was automatic.

Hi Marialba,

This is an interesting observation and I imagine quite a few Workbench users think like this at first. In Studio the TM tab is only for Translation memory maintenance and you can have as many TM's open as you like in this window for any language pair while working on a translation without this affecting what you are doing at all.

The TM is opened in the editing environment automatically when you need to use it and you can see it if you have the Translation Results window open. This is a default view so if you don't have it you can reset it by using View - Reset Windows Layout or View - Translation Results.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio: How to create and export a TM

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search