Studio SP1 and SP2 incompatibility?
Thread poster: Peter Sass

Peter Sass
Germany
Local time: 18:41
English to German
+ ...
Apr 8, 2010

I have received a package file created with SDL Studio 2009 SP2 from an agency client.
Unfortunately, I could not import it with my Studio 2009 SP1, but only received the error message 'Error creating object with name 'FileTypeInformation'.
As usual, no instructions or hints whatsoever in the SDL Knowledgebase about this.

After having spent days trying to find the fault in my installation, it now turns out that it may be just another Trados bug. Once we had found that we use different Studio versions, the client made a test:
When trying to open the said package (containing mainly HTLM files) with a SP1 Studio installation, he received the same error message as I did. Then he tried importing the package with SP2 - and it worked without any problem.

So the question is: Could it be that this is another outrageous SDL Trados Studio programming issue - releasing a new program version which in a crucial part (import/export) is incompatible with the previous one, thereby effectively devaluating it? Upgrade or downfall?

Has anybody else experienced that or a similar problem?

P.S.
By the way, the client has certainly put a support request to SDL regarding this discomforting dysfunctionality. But then you wouldn't believe that they condescended to respond, would you?
Delivering on a prepaid service commitment, SDL? Pull another one!

[Bearbeitet am 2010-04-08 01:28 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Same error for a Word file Apr 8, 2010

Hi Peter,
I experienced the same error in the past, but didn't report it to SDL because:
1. The error appeared randomly;
2. I couldn't reproduce the error.

Anyway, I arrived at the same conclusion as you regarding the (in)compatibility between SP1 and SP2 which especially concerns Word files. Interestingly, I had been testing SP2 Beta and no such errors had appeared during my tests...

Your case seems a little different: you were opening a SP2 file on your SP1 machine. Backward compatibility is usually only provided to work the other way round: opening an older-version file in a later software version. I wouldn't even expect this to work and would have upgraded to SP2.

Regarding SDL support, let me clarify a few things: if you want support on other issues than installation and licensing, you have to have a PSMA (Level 1 or 2). Considering the number of licenses sold, this is only logical. Don't be mistaken: SDL guys are keeping a close eye on this forum and usually help finding solutions. If they don't know how to resolve an issue, they will, most of the times, concact the user with an instant message over his/her profile and arrange a WebEx session to see where the problem is. Fair enough, I believe.

[Upraveno: 2010-04-08 07:57 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post.

Ramon Somoza  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
Same problem for Word file, but the other way round... Apr 29, 2010

I started experiencing this problem AFTER installing SP2, suddenly i could not open ANY kind of files! Luckily I had still an old version (2007) installed, and was able to continue working with that...

However, Stanislav, I must completely disagree with you. It is one thing that you can get dedicated support, or help, and a completely different thing that you can't even file a bug report, even if they do not respond to it! That is a LOUSY way to handle customers, and a LOUSY way to improve the product. When I buy a product, I expect it to work correctly, and if it is a design error (i.e., a bug), I want it fixed, or at least be provided with a workaround!

The error messages it displays (refer to the other forum) are also sloppy at its best. Apparently it does not perform proper error handling, informing about that might have caused the error, trying to recover from the error and indicating potential ways to solve it, like I would expect in a world-class application. If at the time that I designed airborne software I had treated error handling like this, you would see planes falling from the sky every day!

And what the SDL guys keeping an eye on this forum is concerned, I am still waiting for them to respond to the problem in the other thread.

Renewal of my Trados license for a new version? When it comes to that it's unlikely that I will proceed, after seeing how easily they fix the problems of their buggy product!

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Response for Ramon May 2, 2010

Hi Ramon,
please allow me a few comments.
I started experiencing this problem AFTER installing SP2, suddenly i could not open ANY kind of files!

It seems like your SP2 installation has gone corrupt. Have you tried to uninstall and re-install SP2?

I must completely disagree with you. It is one thing that you can get dedicated support, or help, and a completely different thing that you can't even file a bug report, even if they do not respond to it! That is a LOUSY way to handle customers, and a LOUSY way to improve the product.

You might be surprised, but I completely agree. A bug reports sending functionality should be provided. Perhaps you might consider posting this on ideas.sdl.com.

When I buy a product, I expect it to work correctly, and if it is a design error (i.e., a bug), I want it fixed, or at least be provided with a workaround!

Is there a software product that is completely bug-free? If so, I'd be more than happy to purchase it. Bugs are usually fixed over time, but the software developer must first know a bug even exists in the first place. Which brings us back to the previous quotation.

The error messages it displays (refer to the other forum) are also sloppy at its best. Apparently it does not perform proper error handling, informing about that might have caused the error, trying to recover from the error and indicating potential ways to solve it, like I would expect in a world-class application.

IMO, the error messages are not intended for the user at all. Providing more explanatory error descriptions would sure be nice, but be frank: does Word or any other common software allow for debugging? And if so, would a BFU like me, i.e. a user without little or no programming knowledge, be able to perform the debugging?

And what the SDL guys keeping an eye on this forum is concerned, I am still waiting for them to respond to the problem in the other thread.

Perhaps you might have noticed that Paul or Gareth do respond in this forum indeed, without being obliged to do so by any means whatsoever. As you probably know, this is no official SDL Support forum.

Renewal of my Trados license for a new version? When it comes to that it's unlikely that I will proceed, after seeing how easily they fix the problems of their buggy product!

This is your own decision, and I would be the last one to persuade you to buy this or that software. I do agree that Studio used to be riddled with bugs in its first release, but most of the bugs have been gone with the arrival of SP1 and SP2.

RE: Studio SP1 and SP2 incompatibility? May 3, 2010

I have received a package file created with SDL Studio 2009 SP2 from an agency client.
Unfortunately, I could not import it with my Studio 2009 SP1, but only received the error message 'Error creating object with name 'FileTypeInformation'.
As usual, no instructions or hints whatsoever in the SDL Knowledgebase about this.

After having spent days trying to find the fault in my installation, it now turns out that it may be just another Trados bug. Once we had found that we use different Studio versions, the client made a test:
When trying to open the said package (containing mainly HTLM files) with a SP1 Studio installation, he received the same error message as I did. Then he tried importing the package with SP2 - and it worked without any problem.

asifiqbal7978
asifiqbal7978@gmail.com
www.translation.pk

PMz
Forward compatibility? May 3, 2010

asifiqbal7978 wrote:

asifiqbal7978
asifiqbal7978@gmail.com
www.translation.pk

Hi,
Issue here is really not SDL problem - you are trying to open package created in never version on you old version. That will not work.
Any reason why you didn't upgraded to SP2?
Regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio SP1 and SP2 incompatibility?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search